Chapter 7: An Unexpected Job Interview

Summary:

In which the Syndicate's leaders have the audacity to approach Tommy bearing a negotiation.

no trigger warnings for this chapter, enjoy reading :))
______
(Hi again Daniel 🤭)

"Nope, no and absolutely not!" Tommy laughed in exasperation at the sheer audacity of the supervillain. Anger blinded his vision as he hurled the car keys back at Chorus.

Chorus fumbled, dropping the keys with a pang of shock, "Okay, just-"

"No," Tommy interrupted him, voice laced with adamacy, "You have a lot of nerve to even consider approaching me after the other night."

"Please, just let us explain," The villain beseeched as he slid off the bonnet of the car, crouching down to fish the keys from a puddle which was pooling by his feet.

He shook his head in return, "I don't have to do anything you say!" Tommy turned on his heel, ignoring Chorus' pleading. These villains had cost him so much already and he wasn't about to risk his freedom to roam the streets by getting involved again.

Suddenly, a blurred mass swathed in shades of black and dark green dropped from the sky. The headlights of the stolen car lit up Zephyrus as his wings unfurled, catching himself from the fall. Tommy watched in a mixture of twisted awe and horror as Zephyrus' wings spread out the length of the alleyway, utilising his wingspan to block the exit of the alleyway.

"I told you we should've used brute force," A voice drawled loudly from above the alleyway. Tommy's eyes flitted up to the distinct silhouette looming over him from the roof. Stray beams of moonlight and streetlights cast uneasy shadows of the figure across the bricked walls of the alley. He didn't need a second glance to know that this was The Blade, completing the infamous trio.
(NOOO THE POLICEY WEESY WANT ENOUGH ALREADY😭)

"It's never too late?" Zephyrus suggested, a sly smile spreading upon his lips as he looked down upon Tommy. It was that same smile Zephyrus had on his face as he stole the lives of the police officers. Tommy didn't dare think about that night anymore.

The Blade glided across the top of the roof and agilely slid down the drain pipe which creaked and groan under the villains' weight. With The Blade now on the ground, Tommy's stomach lurched and he felt bile rise in his throat as his mind conjured up graphic scenarios; what did these villains want with him now? They already stained his criminal record and sent him five thousand pounds deeper into debt and now they were here to demand more of him. Despite the nerves which immediately kicked in, he turned around to face the villains and puffed up his chest, "You all better be here to apologise," Tommy turned to Zephyrus, glaring as he feigned confidence, though he was certain the villains could see through his demeanour, "And you better be here to give me the money you scammed me."

"I can do you one better," Zephyrus began, "We have an offer-"

"Nope!" Tommy interrupted, thrashing his hands wildly around in anger, "I'm not interested in any of your stupid offers anymore. Every time I get involved in your guys' crimes something always goes wrong. I am going back to my own, petty crimes where I never got caught and actually got to keep the money I make." It was true for the last two times he was involved with the Syndicate, Tommy had either been ripped off or had the revenue he was promised stolen; the police said that the cash Chorus gave him beforehand was 'evidence' for the case meaning he couldn't reclaim the money as his own.

Tommy refused to make the same mistake again.

"Just hear us out." Chorus tried, flailing his hands frantically and desperately as he refrained from lacing his voice with his magical persuasion.