The Devin's Swing - Mute

Following Frankie's cryptic directions, Graham managed to find a rusty warehouse at the edge of the river. The facade was faded in tints of yellow and orange, blending together with broken windows and random graffiti telling this person or another to go fuck themselves.

Frankie quickly got out of the car, unlocking a garage door for the car to slip in.

Heavy machinery of some sort Graham couldn't recognize was pressed against the far wall of the warehouse. A few puddles were left where snow fell through the cracks. Crates and water-damaged cardboard boxes littered the floor, making the whole room smell damp and musky. There was a vague scent of piss, but Graham couldn't tell if it came from the room or the woman he was currently prodding towards the middle of the room.

"Here. Tie 'er to the beam," ordered Frankie, standing next to a support beam that was stuck in the middle of the room.

As Graham approached his destination, a new scent took over his nose: copper, with a tinge of biological waste. Blood.

All over the base of the beam was a layer of dried blood. A particularly big stain seemed to be fresh, with a few fat blobs still partially wet.

"What is this place?" asked Graham. The woman would have asked the same, but the dirty sock on her mouth held her tongue for her.

"It's Sean's. He buy it a long time ago. I take people here to wack 'em. Quiet 'nd with no fuzz."

If Kenny was the muscles of the family, and Dara the eyes, Sean Lynch was the brains. The eldest son of Jack "Hammer" Lynch, Sean was groomed from a young age to have the education his father couldn't have. The best schools, the best University, the best life. When Jack fell ill due to his age, Sean took over the family business, making a complete makeover of the whole organization. He was apparently as charming as he was ruthless. Not like Graham would know; Sean never mingled with the riff-raff.

While Graham tried to tie the terrified woman to the beam, Frankie moved towards one of the big machines, flipping a big lever on its side. The yellow monstrosity came to life, rumbling a deafening screeching sound that enveloped the whole building. He yelled something towards Graham, but his words were lost in the cacophony of the imposing machinery.

"What?!" yelled Graham back, not knowing that his words were landing on deaf ears. That is if you don't count the terrified woman shivering from fear in front of him.

Frankie ran towards Graham, taking hold of his shoulder once he got close enough. "I said: Can ya hear me?!" yelled Frankie.

"Yes!" he yelled back.

"Good! Now, shoot 'er! Ain't nobody gonna hear a gun over this noise," Frankie said, putting a revolver in Graham's hand.

It took a few moments for him to process what was given to him. The cold metal felt foreign to him.

"Wait! Why do I have to do it?!"

"What?!" answered Frankie.

"I said, why do I have to do it?!"

"You fucked up; you un-fuck it!"

"No!" he said, thrusting the gun back at Frankie. "I've never killed a person!"

"Well," Frankie said while pushing the gun back at Graham, "time to pop yer cherry! Time you become a made man."

With a push, Graham stumbled backward, pulling some distance between the tied woman and him. He could see her doe eyes filled with terror, her face pale in fright. Her whole body language screamed for mercy. Her head shook from side to side, making her matted hair cling to her sweaty forehead. How she managed to sweat in this weather, with such ragged clothes, Graham could not tell.