The Wanderer's Blues - Crescendo

Ira was already in the interrogation room with William by the time Graham decided to enter. It was one of those stereotypical interrogation rooms that are often shown in movies: A single metal table, dingy lights, and a one-way mirror. Perched on a small tripod on the table was a video camera. Graham could feel the eyes of the room pin daggers on him as he walked toward his seat on the table - not only from William and Ira, but also from Captain Dara, who Graham knew was watching this with interest behind the glass.

"Mr. Wolfe," Graham said, placing his bag on the table, "I must first ask you to please confirm in front of the camera that you have been read your rights and that you have not been harmed or coerced in any way, shape or form."

"Don't answer," chimed in Ira, leaning on the table. "This whole thing has been a travesty from the start. First of all, you entered my client's home while he was away? You never attempted to exhaust all your resources before deciding to enter my client's home without his express will. He has nothing to hide, and would've been more than glad to cooperate in any shape or form. The search warrant was requested by your Captain herself, making sure to expedite the process, skipping over all the legal hoops, and not to mention all your evidence is both circumstantial and outright far-fetched. This whole thing is a shit show, and I'm sure any judge would think the same."

Graham remained silent, not even acknowledging Ira as he maintained eye contact with William, slouched over to appear smaller than he was.

"I'm afraid we have more than probable cause to enter your residence. This isn't looking good for you, William. Your best bet is to cooperate, and I'll make sure the DA gives you some leniency."

"Don't say anything," complained Ira. "They got nothing."

Graham took a laptop and the case files out of his bag, putting them in front of William.

"Let me tell you a story. Feel free to stop me if you heard it before. A man is constantly berated by his boss. You know, demeaning nicknames, psychological abuse, all that jazz. One day, the man puts a project in front of his boss that took weeks to ensemble - his big break, the one that's gonna give him a seat on the big boy's table, and his boss tears him and the project to shreds. The man gets angry, maybe gets under the influence of some narcotic, and decides-"

"This is ludicrous! Are you implying my client is somehow a drug addict?" says Ira.

"I once made an omelet but that doesn't make me a chef. I'm just pointing out that Mr. Wolfe has a criminal history that involves narcotics. Were you aware of that?"

Ira went silent, his eyes jolting open like a deer's when caught in a headlight. Shutting him up was the most satisfying moment in Graham's day so far.

"I suppose your client has not been as forthcoming as you thought, Mr. Loophole. Let's see..." said Graham while combing through his notes. "Valentine's Day, 2014, Times Square. Arrested for public indecency. Was found in possession of Marijuana, which was also found in his urine when a test was conducted. Quite a hefty fine you got from that. Care to explain that?"

This time, Ira didn't object, staring at William for answers. William's eyes darted all around the room for help, but none was given to him.

"I, em...Was studying in NYU. Freshman. Freshman year that is, and um... My boyfriend at that time dumped me. Some friends invited me to a party and I-"

"I get it," interrupted Graham, "you were depressed, you wanted to unwind, why not take a hit or two? And somehow or another you found yourself standing in the middle of Times Square, butt naked, with nothing but your glasses and your satchel, and a pair of nipple tassels? Is that correct? According to the report, at least."