The Wanderer's Blues - Pull-off

"My client will not answer any questions until you tell him why he's here," said a small, bespectacled man sitting right next to Murray.

Ira Dershowitz was the best lawyer money could buy. Some would call him an eminence in criminal law, while most would call him a complete and utter douchebag. When not busy giving lectures, he was the personal lawyer for the rich and wealthy that wanted to keep the long nose of the law from sniffing into their business. His nickname among the legal world was "Mr. Loophole" for his ability to find chinks in any process he could break apart.

This particular process, he thought, was so full of holes he could drain pasta on it.

"I assure you, your client is not accused of any crimes," said Graham, sitting across from him. "I only want to ask him some questions."

"You say that, yet we are in an interrogation room with a camera pointing at us."

"It's standard, and I must remind you that Mr. Prendergast came out of his own volition."

"Only because you forcefully detained Mr. Wolfe, who is also my client!"

"Ladies, ladies," Murray chimed in, making a calming gesture with his hands, "calm down. You're both pretty. Get over it.

"Murray, as your lawyer, I recommend-"

"As my employee," interrupted Murray, placing his left hand on Ira's shoulders, "I recommend you chill out. I got nothing to hide. If you see something funny, chime in. If not, zip it."

"Thank you," said Graham with a sigh. "Now, you're here because we have reasons to believe that Mr. Wolfe tried to assassinate Henry White on the night of the thirtieth of December-"

"A baseless accusation!" interrupted Ira. "I'll have you know that any and all conjecture towards any of my clients will-"

"... by cutting the brakes of Mr. White's Maybach 57 around eleven-thirty outside the Park Plaza hotel. Unfortunately, his plan backfired, killing Zinet Geber instead," said Graham, ignoring Ira.

Murray let out a dry laugh, mixed with some coughs. "This is golden. Skinny Willy, a murderer! What a criminal mastermind. He probably knows where they buried Jimmy Hoffa. Deviant."

"Please take this seriously, Mr. Prendergast."

"Can't take you seriously when you keep saying nonsense. This is, and pardon my french, bullshit."

"I have to agree," commented Ira. "These are huge accusations, one I assume you're backing up evidence, don't you?"

Graham pulled the notebook out of his pocket, ready to shut him off, but decided against it. "I don't have to discuss evidence with you."

"I must remind you that I represent Mr. Wolfe, so you very much have to discuss it with me."

"And I must remind you," countered Graham, punctuating that last word by jabbing his index on the table, "that you are representing Mr. Prendergast at this very moment. Don't mix your clients now, Mr. Loophole."

That shut him up.

"Nothing more to say? Good. Let's continue. Mr. Prendergast, the reason you're here is to corroborate an even that Mr. White said happened on...a Tuesday, as vague as it seems. Has there ever been a hostile encounter between Mr. Wolfe and Mr. White?"

Murray leaned back in the steel chair. The cold metal dug into his fat back. He smacked his lips in annoyance, sucking air between his teeth. "Define hostile."

"Mr. White declared that Mr. Wolfe tried to pitch him an idea for an advertisement. He also said he publicly humiliated Mr. Wolfe, and proceeded to demote him. Is that true?"