Chapter 5

(Sorry for going on Hiatus unannounced. But I promise I will not give up on this story. And hopefully I will complete it in this summer vacations. And thank you for such supportive comments.)

Over the weekend the only significant event was the complex fire. Other than that, there were just some muggings, bank robbery, the usual stuff. But one notable thing that caught our friendly neighborhood spider-man's attention was the involvement of the avengers. Or the lack of it.

It didn't went unnoticed by the people either that how avengers were not present at the scene of fire. And how it was just the Spider-man, that was doing the saving. This raised many questions, reporters were having field day with this story. It even made headlines.

Spider-man contacted Director Fury regarding the matter, but unfortunately even he didn't know what was wrong with the Avengers. After the fire, before Spider-man contacted Fury, he himself went to the Avengers Tower, which rarely happens, to have a talk with them. But he wasn't even able to enter the Penthouse.

Fury already knew what they did to Spider-man. So, he left this detail out, when he talked to the him, not wanting to further sadden him. But it hardly helped. More then sad, he was now growing concerned over the fact that they refused to save lives.

But that is how Peter's weekend went and now it was Monday, the most awaited day for those who had applied for the Hammer Industries Internship. The results were going to be announced and the luckiest student was going to get the internship.

"I can't wait! I'm so nervous." said Ned while walking towards their first class. Both Peter and MJ agreed. Surprisingly, Flash had not taunted him when he walked in to the school. 'I guess even Flash can behave some days.' Peter thought chuckling to himself.

Mj noticed this, not knowing why he chuckled, she smiled to herself, seeing Peter happy after what he went through last week, she was relieved and happy. They made it to their classroom. The class was uneventful but if one was to pay close attention, every student was anxious and nervous.

After few hours, they all heard the most awaited sound, the sound of the Principal's voice for everyone to come to the auditorium for the announcement.

Everyone filed in line and headed towards the auditorium. Peter for some reason was feeling his spider sense tingle slightly in the back of his head. It meant not immediate danger, but just to be careful. He didn't mentioned it to either of his friends, not wanting to worry them unnecessarily.

"Good afternoon students! I know you all have been anxiously waiting for this announcement. So without any further delay, let me invite Mr.Justin Hammer." Auditorium erupted in applause!

"Well good afternoon future scientists! So, the results are very interesting. I was looking for a single intern but based on the results, there are two lucky students who got the Hammer Industries Internship!" Justin said with a delight. It was something they were not expecting at all. So, after the applause had settled down, auditorium was filled with the sound of murmurs.

"Now I will announce one of the lucky student's name. This student will be working in the higher intern labs. And this lucky student is Edward Leeds!"

Saying Ned was shocked was an understatement. The auditorium again erupted in applause, congratulating him. Peter was little bummed but was happy for his friend nonetheless. Congratulating him and doing their usual handshake. MJ gave a congratulating hug and was happy for him. While they were busy with all this, someone asked loudly, "Then who's the other student?"

Everyone quieted down, hoping it was their name that would be called next. "As for the next student, you will be my personal intern! And the lucky student is Peter Benjamin Parker!"

Now it was Peter's turn to be shocked. Never in his wildest dreams, did he ever thought he would get another internship, let alone in Hammer Industries that just happens to be the rival of Stark Industries. But this news was received with lot murmurs instead of applause or congratulations.

"Why puny Parker!" It was none other than Flash. Peter understood why many of the students were unhappy. Not only did Peter was able to work with The Tony Stark but then he lost the internship. And the very next week he gets another one. Students didn't believe him that he even had a Stark Internships in the first place.
Justin saw this, and begin to kind of defend Peter. "You all may not have known this, but when I decided the two interns, I did not even knew their names. It was after I had decided, that I found out the names of these two students. So, it was their intelligence that landed them this internship."

In other words he meant, rest of the students are not good enough. But he had to put it in good words due to public image. Before anything else happened, Principal Morita interrupted and said "That will be all. Edward Leeds and Peter Parker please come to my office." And with that he left no room for further discussion or complaints.

All the students started exiting the auditorium talking to each other about what just happened. And it made Peter very uncomfortable, because thanks to his super hearing he heard almost all the comments that were made. Some made him happy but others just upset him. But he chose to ignore the comments, since he is used to them. "Let's go! Principal told us to come." Ned suddenly said to Peter after grabbing his arm and almost pulling him towards the office. Ned being the good friend he is, knew that Peter was getting upset, so he tried to distract him from all that.

"Yeah let's go!" Peter said with a big smile and started walking towards the office. But turned around to ask MJ if she was coming, but she declined and said she will wait for them in cafeteria. Ned and Peter while walking towards the office, begin talking about Legos and whatnot.

Now that they had reached the office, reality began to hit them. After taking a deep breath Ned knocked on the door and went in. Both the Principal Morita and Justin Hammer turned towards them and congratulated them.

After discussing the details with them, like when they would like to start the internship whether in summer vacation or from the very next day, they both agreed on summer vacations. "Very well. I will be seeing you two both on 1st of next month. Take care." Justin said with a smile. "We are looking forward to working with you Mr. Hammer." Peter said while shaking his hand.

With that he left the office and Mr. Morita dismissed the two kids after congratulation them once again.

As they had left the office and headed towards the cafeteria, the tingling Peter had felt before had slightly increased. He thought of telling about it to Ned but but decided against it. He did not wanted to ruin Ned's mood. So, once again Peter chose to ignore it. Unaware of how it will affect his life here onwards.