Chapter 6

The days before summer vacations were somewhat uneventful. Just the usual crimes and also the lack of avengers sighting. During these days, Spider-man tried to contact the Avengers but it was futile.

Though at one occasion he was able to talk to Steve, but it ended badly. People who witnessed their encounter, were taken aback. Not the fact that two superheroes were fighting but the fact that Captain America, who was known to be gentle, was brutal towards another superhero.

Spider-man had no other choice but to retreat. This was taken as a sign of cowardice by none other then the J. Jonah Jameson, who had a field day belittling Spider-man.

But besides him, other news outlets and blogs either sided with the Spider-man or the crowd that was present at the scene.

All in all, Peter's days before Summer Vacations was somewhat eventful. Then came the fateful day. 1st day of internship at the Hammer Industries.

Both Ned and Peter met at the lobby of the company. It was evident they both were unable to contain their excitement. They head to the reception and was greeted by the receptionist. "Hi! How can I help?" She asked in her professional tone and smile.

"Hi! I'm Edward Leeds and this Peter Benjamin Parker. We are here for our internships from Midtown High." Ned explained barely able to contain his excitement. It was clear as day he was proud to say that they were there for the Internship, especially being high-schoolers.

As he said that, the receptionist began typing on computer searching for the said names. When she found it, she dialed on the cabled phone. After she was done she professionally told the teenagers to wait in the lounge, as their tour guide was on her way.

After the tour guide got there, they began their tour of the company, being informed about all the important and necessary stuff that was needed for them to know.

"Mr.Leeds you will be working on this floor. And this is the floor's in charge, Mr.Mike. He will further inform you regarding your work." She said while gesturing towards a man who was working on some prototype container. He looked towards the group at the mention of his name and waved.

"Now then Mr.Parker please follow me to the upper floors, where you will be working as Mr.Hammer's personal intern." She told Peter and began to walk towards the elevator. Peter and Ned said their byes for the day, and headed to their assigned positions.

As Peter had already worked at the Stark Industries, Hammer Industries didn't seemed so magnificent. But it was nice in its own way. He followed the guide while being a nervous wreck. He was lost in his own thoughts, when they had reached Justin's personal floor.

As he entered, Peter was left speechless. It was not only spacious but also very marvelous. "Why thank you Peter!" Justin replied, realizing he said it aloud. Embarrassed Peter started stuttering, "D-didn't know, I said it out loud. Where will I be working Mr.Hammer?"

"Oh Justin is fine. And you will be working right beside me. After all you are my personal intern." Justin replied while directing Peter towards the labs and dismissing the guide.

(After Few Weeks Skip)

Peter being a genius, understood his daily tasks easily. So, he continued working for almost a month without any complaints. Justin was actually enjoying Peter's company more than he thought he would.

During his work, one day Justin asked about Peter's previous internship. Peter fully aware what to say and what not to, started "Well Mr.Stark found a more 'genius' intern.  And simply told me not to come by anymore. As our contract had no fixed duration mentioned, I wasn't required to stay there any longer. So, I also stopped going there." He finished feeling dejected.

He couldn't forget those memories, that had caused him so much grieve over the last month. He would do anything to forget the feelings of being betrayed by his friends. That he had came to love as a family. But unfortunately they did not feel the same way.

Regaining his composure, he faced Justin with a small smile and continued, "After that he didn't contact me, so I also didn't feel the need to contact him. To be honest, I wasn't going to apply for this internship, I thought if I got this opportunity other students would find it unfair. After all, previously I had Stark Internship and I blew it."

Before he could continue, Justin stopped him right there and said, "You stop right there young man, you got this internship only through your skills and intellect. If others were better than you, then why aren't they standing in your position? It means you outclassed them fair and square." He finished while giving his signature smile.

Peter looked at Justin and thought for a second, what he had said. And nodded and thanked him sincerely. "It's getting late now, I will see tomorrow Mr.Hammer!" Peter said as he started heading towards the door of the lab.

"Oh Peter before you go, remember I will inform you of the press conference that you will be attending with me. Time hasn't been confirmed yet, so I will text you the time. Be on time, okay?" Justin informed Peter, who just nodded while being unsure whether it was a good idea to take him to the press conference.

Justin noticing his lack of confidence, said "You will do great Peter. Show that Stark Industries, that firing you was their biggest mistake!" Peter being a humble and honest kid he was, didn't even once thought it that way. And smiled shyly.

But it still doesn't change the fact that, for a split second, a thought crossed Peter's mind, 'Mr.Stark and all the avengers will pay for betraying me!'

Peter shook his head and collected his thoughts. Moments later he forgot what he was thinking and continued his walk towards his home after saying bye to his new boss.

As he arrived home, his Aunt May had prepared her famous Turkey Meatloaf which he sometimes enjoyed and sometimes....had to eat.

But regardless the taste, meatloaf was always a reminder that at home he was an innocent boy who enjoyed being with his Aunt no matter the situation.

But all good things must come to an end, so will the boy's innocent heart. The most hellish wake-up call will serve as a reminder of it, for him.