Zelena

A/N I'm aiming for longer chapters this time, so I'll be updating about three times a month. Also, whatever name is there for the storys' chapter is that chapters P.O.V in case written differently. Thanks for reading my story! I love you all my little whalies!
-Grace

"Aunt Breta, really, it's oka-" my aunt pulls on my belt and I let out a gasp.

Today is my first day at a prestigious boarding academy, called Odeas School of Magic for Girls. It's just outside of downtown Maith, and is considered the best magic school in all of Mahija.

Aunt puts a purple flower behind my left ear, completing the uniform, and says, "A purple lily, to match those beautiful eyes of yours," she smiles at me and I blush. I hate it when people comment on my appearance, it makes me self conscious.

She brushes past me and tells me to check myself in the mirror while she goes and makes a snack before I leave, for a full year. I jump up from my bed and make my way to my Aunts bedroom. It's just across the hall, and is only slightly bigger than mine. We live in a small bungalow, just outside of downtown Maith. There isn't much room, but the beautiful view of Serpent Bay makes up for it.

I enter my Aunts room, and sidestep a pile of clothes on the floor. My room is always neat and tidy, containing only a bed, a bookshelf and a small dresser for my clothes. My aunt, on the other hand, likes to keep her packed room in a state of constant 'organized chaos'. Although, she does always leave a spot clear for the giant full length mirror on her back wall.

I step in front of it and examine myself. I'm wearing the obligatory school uniform, for normal classes and gatherings. It consists of white pants (or white skirt), a black belt, a white button-up, a black vest, a green and purple tie, and cream colored cotton shoes. Of course, there are no animal products, because they stop the easy flow of magic around us.

As my personal touches, I've ditched the cotton shoes for my favorite pair of combat boots (in my case, animal products help ground me to the earth, making it easier for me to perform earth magic), rolled up the sleeves of the shirt, and wore a purple flower behind my left ear, to match my eyes. My Aunt also put my black hair in a side braid going over my left shoulder, reaching just above my hip.

"Zelena, hurry up, we're going to be late!" My aunt yells to me from the kitchen, frantically putting on her shoes. Sometimes, it seems as though my aunt is more excited about this boarding school than I am. "Meet you at the docks!" I hear a door slam and know my aunt is going down the steps to our makeshift wooden dock.

I quickly shove some carrots in my mouth and pocket the rest. I snatch my backpack off the table and take one last look at the house. It isn't much, just a small, shabby bungalow, but it's been my home ever since my parents died. I was thrust on my aunt, and we have very little money. The only reason I'm going to such an expensive school is because of the scholarship I got when I was twelve!

"Honey, are you coming?" I jump down the little cliff to where my aunt is waiting, hands clasped together, next to the rickety dock I put together. My first ever time dealing with a hammer. I stand in front of her and concentrate on the water. I move my hands in a complicated pattern my old teacher taught me, and a boat made of ice surfaces, big enough for two.

"Alright Aunt Breta, it's steady," I say as I smooth over the ripples in the water. Jumping in agilely, I begin to push the water under the ice, and out, making a type of magic operated boat.

It's a much easier way to get downtown, walking from our house takes about half an hour. Once we get going smoothly, my aunt looks at me lovingly.

"You're going to fit right in, sweetie," she tells me and I almost stop 'rowing' our boat. "Aunt Breta, are you serious? I'm going to be attending Odeas in the Fourth year! With the seventeen-year-olds! How could I possibly fit in less?" I don't know how the students are going to react to me joining that school, let alone skipping three grades. Aunt Breta pouts a little and smiles sadly at me,

"I'm sure you'll make some friends sweetie, give it some time. And just think, you'll be the youngest graduate to ever walk out of Odeas!" She's excited again, practically bouncing in her seat. If I graduate, you mean, I mumble thinking she won't hear me.

"Don't say that, Zelena. Oh look, we're here!" She gestures behind me and I turn around. The beautiful city of Maith is spread before us, an endless array of shops and streets. Although it is the most technically advanced city in all of Maravhila, it still resembles a quaint market place bustling with people. The only exception to that rule, however, is the fortress of the High Mages. It resembles a huge castle, and can be seen through the belt of trees near the main square. It is entirely run on magic, and is the sole laboratory for technological advancement in all of Mahija.

I'm hoping when I graduate to be one of the lucky mages who get to go on a quest, given by the High Mage of telepathy.

Shaking myself of my thoughts, I bring us in to one of the many docks lining the side of Maith. Once my Aunt is safely out of the boat, I melt it and create stairs for myself onto the dock. Had we been alone, I would have simply jumped using a touch of wind to lift me up, but nobody can see me doing two different kinds of element magic.

"Alright, Zelena. I think if we just turn down this street here, it should lead to that path over there-" I let my aunt lead us through the busy streets of the city, occasionally doubling back, since we turned down the wrong street or alley. It gives me time to admire the constant state of action in the city. I love that we live so close, busy places fascinate me.

"Miss, would you like to buy a high quality tiger charm? Perfect for the wandering traveler!" A street vendor calls out from the crowd. I'm about to decline, when Aunt Breta grabs my arm and leads me to an old rusted gate, containing the faded letters, OSM.

"This has to be it. It's right here on the map!" Aunt exclaims. She points to where we need to be and I look behind us. Seeing the intersection of Pine road and Krail Drive, I know she's right. "Don't worry Aunt Breta, I read about this in the catalogue my old elementary teacher gave me. We needed to find the rusted gate with school symbol on it," I say gesturing towards the gate, "And say this months password."

"Great!" Exclaims my aunt folding the map she was carrying, "What's the password then?" I bite my lip guiltily and say quietly, "Well, I was so excited to have gotten in to Odeas, that I forgot to check what the password was."

"What?" said my aunt disbelievingly, "how could you not-" she gets interrupted by a feminine voice behind us."Juniper. The password is Juniper." the gate emits a small spark and slides open, revealing a well kept path going to the right, no doubt leading to the school.

"Thanks!" I say, watching the girl walk beside me. "What's your na-" but she's already gone, along the twisting past to my new school. My aunt and Iwalk in, as the gates close behind us with a spray of rust. Great, I think, the first student who's my age, and she doesn't even glance my way. This is going to be a great first day.