Georgia

Even though I've seen it four times already, the dining hall still astounds me. There are three long tables, one for each group, and a head table for the teachers. The polished marble floors always seem to sparkle, no matter how many people walk on them.

There are a few pillars lining the walls, each intricately carved with enchanter runes of safety and happiness. The walls arc high up, where the ceiling becomes a dome painted to look like a night sky.

Every student who's ever been to Odeas has painted their own star, once they graduated. Some groups had come together to form galaxies, others have put theirs randomly on the ceiling. If an enchanter touches a star with their wand, a name appears, the name of whoever painted that star. I'm excited for my graduation ceremony next year, where I can permanently etch my existence into the sky.

My group files along the tables, being the last to have arrived, and reach ours at the end of the hall. The whole school is buzzing about tonight, each group is going to get a name and symbol. For the 100th year anniversary of the school, they decided to update everything.

I feel something wet land on my neck, and realize it's a spitball from one of the necromancers. He and his friends burst out laughing, including a pretty necromancer girl who's draped all over him.

He made me want to throw up, then wipe the grin off his idiotic face.

"She must not be a telepath, or else she would have seen that coming, huh George?" He says, trying to aggravate me. Zelena turns around, hearing his taunt, "I'm sorry what was that?" She asks him with mock politeness.

He snickers, and tells her, "Wouldn't expect you to hear me, your ears are full of dirt." He must not be the smart one in their group, that was probably the lamest insult I've ever heard. Zelena noticed too, as she tries to contain her laughter.

Instead, she stomps her foot, and the ground underneath the necromancer jumps up, causing him to topple backwards. We turn back around giggling like maniacs, when the headmistress starts speaking,

"Good afternoon, everyone! Please calm down, although I understand this is quite an exciting procedure for you. Now, I may not have met very many of you privately yet," she says, addressing the newcomers, and winking at Lily,

"But I'm sure that will change in the upcoming weeks. About your groups, we will start with the first one immediately," She gestures to her left and the table there immediately burst into chatter,

"The Animals, Teleporters and Natures, will furthermore be known as the Roda's." These last few think at top speed over their new name, and what it could possibly represent. As if hearing their silent question, the headmistress continues with her speech,

"This signifies the groups constant motion, yet laid back personality, as well as their connection to nature. As for your banner," a silky green banner, with a beautiful image in bronze, drops from the ceiling, to hang over the Rodas, "The faded eagle represents teleportation, as well as its hold on biological life forms. The flower in its grasp, is still strong in the face of death."

The Rodas cheer at their newfound identity, and everything it entitles. Turning to the table next to us, the headmistress continues,

"As for the Makers, Fighters and Necromancers, your new title will be Neah (Pronounced Neigh-A). Closer to the dark side, it means fierce and great, but not always compliant." The necromancer from before jeers at me, and I fight the urge to punch him in the face. I would too, but I wouldn't want to mess up my groups reputation.

The headmistress continues, as my group is growing restless, "As for your banner," She gestures to the space above their heads and a new banner unfurls. This one is fashioned the same as the Rodas', but red as blood, with a silver image.

"The skull represents death, in it's many forms. The swords crossing behind it are the weapons of the Fighters, as well as the masterpieces of the Makers." The Neah's cheer for their new identity, and start showing off their banner. Saying it's one step up from the Rodas' bronze one.

The headmistress does not approve, and decides to continue, "Settle down, Neah. We aren't finished yet. Now, for the patiently awaited third group. As of today, you will be known as Mora. Because of your good judgement and bravery, we have decided that Mora suits you best. Next is your banner, of course."

A beautiful sky blue banner drops from the ceiling and hangs over our heads, with a gold drawing this time,

"The sun is for the elementals, burning with a passion that only you possess. The gears represent the telepaths, who work on the inside with delicate force. And of course, the two crossed wands are the enchanters, the backbone of magic society."

We all cheer for our name and banner, although it might take a while to get used to them. I look over at Zelena, who is thinking hard about our name, as well as the others. She did tell me once she wanted to know the origin of our country's name, which oddly enough nobody really knows.

I assume she'll be heading to the library after supper, to read more forbidden books on the forgotten languages. Just as I'm about to question her further, our food appears.

Just like it has at every meal, every single dish imaginable floats through the hole in the center of our table. From there, it wisps around above our table, leaving the students to frantically grab dishes as they pass overhead.

I'm about to lunge for the chicken wings, when they zoom in the opposite direction. I land straight on top of Lily, who jumps and almost spills her soup. Zelena laughs, and uses air magic to gently float the chicken onto the table.

"You could just ask you know," she says as she hauls me off of Lily. I mumble an apology, but Lily just grins. She's thinking that maybe we'll be able to be friends after all. I nod at her, relieved she isn't too shy any more, and try to enjoy my last stress free supper. Because for tomorrow, we start class.

A/N
Sorry! That wasn't my best chapter ever, but I promise the next one will be better! Plus, class!! I'm super excited to start writing about it, (Something really awesome is going to come up!!) but I'm also going to update a chapter of my other book first! Thanks so much for reading this far! I love you my little whalies🐳!
-Grace