| five |

blake

november 4th, 2017

walking into mikey's room, i see his degrees hanging on the wall along with his diploma. he worked really hard for dual degrees in college, getting both his physician's and nursing degrees at once. he graduated a few months ago and got a job at the hospital not long ago, but he's been sick for the last few days.

"how're we feeling today?" i ask, sitting on the end of his bed.

"like shit, but i'll survive. we're still going to the festival, and you can't say no." he replies, pointing a finger at me to show his seriousness.

"alright, alright, i get it. are you going to change, or just go in what you're wearing?"

"i'll change, just give me a few minutes."

"alright, i'll see you downstairs in a bit. i'm making pancakes for breakfast, how many do you want?"

"two," he mumbles, walking into the bathroom. i walk downstairs and after a few minutes, i hear the shower start.

"at least i'll have time to get breakfast together," i say quietly to myself. getting out the pancake mix and the eggs, and by the time i've finished cooking, mikey is walking down the stairs.

"take a seat, i'll bring you your plate in a minute." i say as i make two plates of pancakes and eggs.

joining him at the table, i put his plate in front of him. after a few minutes, i notice mikey is being unusually quiet. even when he gets sick he's still usually pretty talkative.

"alright, what going on in that brain of yours?" i say, dropping my fork on the plate.

"what do you mean," he gives me a confused look. "i'm just eating."

"but you're being pretty much silent, mikey, and you're not usually this quiet." i pointed out.

"fine, i was going to ask about noah, but i don't want to be nosy or anything," he added, looking down at his plate with a frown.

when mikey had moved in with me, he finally told me about what it was like living with mom. neither of our parents had done very well in the parenting department, but me and mikey always try to remind ourselves it could have been worse. we've also agreed that we don't have the best coping methods. he told me about how our mother was always angry at him for no particular reason, always saying it was because he was "annoying" and "talked to much." this led him to struggle with talking for a few years, even if he was talking to me. he still has his moments when he becomes reserved, but he's a lot more talkative now.

"you're not being nosy, it's a simple question. it's alright," i reply with a smile. "everything's good with noah. they got into town a few days ago and he brought me lunch when i was at work and we hung out for a while till my break was over. it was nice,"

"good, good," he grins, taking a breath. i give him a confusing look, only to hear him ask "so when's the wedding," in a sarcastically teasing tone, clasping his hands together in front of him.

"there's the mikey i know," i grin. "and there won't be a wedding, me and noah are only friends." i say, giving him a look and grabbing out plates and cups, putting them into the dishwasher. "we better get going soon, you still up for it?"

"always." he replies with a smirk "plus, ice nine kills is playing today too, and there is no way i am missing that,"

"that's valid, let's go."

_________________________________

on the way to the festival, mikey had played memphis may fire's new album "the light i hold".