eight

"Holy shit Leigh," Jade groaned, hands gripping onto her shoulders.

"Sorry love," Leigh apologized sincerely.

The dark skinned cheerleader quickly tried to assist Jade who was stuck on a particularly high beam.

"It looked so much lower when I was getting on it," Jade said, as Leigh helped her off.

"The cost of a good angle," Leigh said, spinning loosely before beginning to walk.

"I hear that," Jade giggled, following after her.

"Let's head over to the trampolines," Leigh said with wide eyes. Jade really liked her like this.

"Coach said I have the best double back handspring," she continued, pushing her chest out.

Jade smiled fondly, "I don't doubt that. "

The two walked over to the long, springy surface. Leigh completed 3 of her routines with a number of songs blaring in the background. The likes of Melanie Martinez and JoJo accompanied her motions. Jade took at least 20 photos, awkwardly jogging as Leigh moved.

"Hey," Leigh, said breathing heavily. She had finally come to a stop."Do you think I have enough gymnast things? Like I dance. I could dance instead."

Jade immediately thought of her mom and how she referred to teens dancing as 'the old bump and grind'.

"Yeah...that'd be great," she said, straightening her back.

Leigh ran over to change the song on her iPod.

"So, what's this for Leigh?" Jade asked. She realized that there was no newspaper article that needed this many pictures of Leigh and Leigh's blog, which Jade occasionally stalked, never showed her face.

"Y'know, we have enough...movement based pictures," Leigh said, playing with the ring that rested on her pinky. "I can do some yoga. "

"Leigh," Jade started, narrowing her eyes slightly.

"It's nothing bad," Leigh said, playing with a strand of loose hair.

She backed away from Jade and took a yoga mat from a nearby pile.

"I'm applying to an international talent agency," Leigh said, looking away. "They take a bunch of people out to California to be stars. It's a really good opportunity."

"Yeah I bet," Jade said, faking a smile. She couldn't imagine not having Leigh there. She had been there since 1st grade. And sure Jade might've not been a big part of Leigh's life, but she was a huge part of others. She was the only crush Jade had since she moved here.

"Don't miss me too much when I make it big kid," Leigh said, lying down on the mat.

Jade carefully put the camera down on the floor before lying down next to Leigh. This was a great act of courage. Her brown blazer bunched uncomfortably at her shoulders which made her even more awkward.

Leigh licked her lips. "This town is so small Jade. A small town with small people that dream the smallest dreams. Some of these kids just want to have some money one day. I mean I want... I want to do something bigger"

"I think you'll leave," Jade whispered, turning her head.

"I think you will too," Leigh nodded, facing her.

Somehow, her right hand found the bottom of Jade's cropped sweater vest, right over her waist.

Jade watched in awe as the other girl leaned closer to her. Jade mirrored her actions before taking a deep breath.

"Can I kiss you?" Jade asked, squeezing her eyes tightly, as if she were about to wake up from a good dream.

Leigh's hand found Jades chin, pulling their lips together.

Leigh knew what she was doing, while Jade was purley winging it. Hands and pillows aren't exactly a good representation of lips.

But Christ Leigh's lips. Jade couldn't tell if she was dreaming or not and she didn't exactly care.

Maybe it was a small town and none of them would amount to the likes of celebrities. Maybe when we die, we just die. There's no epic legacy and no happily ever after. But right then, in that moment, there was girl that cared about Jade enough to kiss her and goddamn it that meant something.