Act One, Chapter One: [Wavepaw]

Wavepaw pads down a winding pebble trail beside Ivyhawk, bouncing every few steps.

She was finally old enough to visit the Moonpool with him and become a medicine apprentice for real, and wasn't bothering to contain her excitement.

"Are we almost there?" the blue-gray apprentice chirps, angling her amber gaze up at the RiverClan medicine cat.

Ivyhawk sighs, twitching a torn ear.

"You've asked me that seven times already," he replies blankly, though a little smile creeps across his face.

"But yes, we are."

"Great!" Wavepaw replies, giving a little hop and increasing her speed.

Little puffs of vapor form in front of her muzzle as she breathes, dispersing into the air after a few heartbeats.

The few trees scattered around the field they were walking through were barren- a delicate layer of frost coated every blade of yellowing grass.

Clouds drift over the half-moon floating in a darkening sky.

Leaf-bare had come upon the Clans, and thankfully RiverClan was doing well- the rivers kept flowing despite the dropping temperatures and now it was even easier to store fish since the cold ensured they wouldn't spoil.

The only problem was sickness, which had presented itself in a few mild cases over the past half-moon, but ample prey had eased its negative impact.

Wavepaw glances up as Ivyhawk as the golden tabby slows his pace.

A dirt path up a hill stands in front of them, weaving through clusters of bare trees.

"Why are you stopping?" she mews a little impatiently, fluffy tail swishing behind her.

"Because we're here," Ivyhawk replies, taking a step onto the trail.

"C'mon."

-=-

Trotting behind Ivyhawk with an excited hum, Wavepaw's eyes widen in wonder at the sight of the Moonpool.

Although her soon-to-be official mentor had told her many times about the Clans' sacred place, seeing the glimmering pool with her own eyes at last filled her with excitement.

The half-moon's reflection, though obscured by clouds, was projected onto the water with a brilliant glow; mist from the waterfall feeding into the pool sprays Wavepaw's pelt with frigid droplets of water.

"We're here, everybody," Ivyhawk calls, smiling softly- the other medicine cats begin to slowly approach.

Wavepaw presses closer to her mentor's side- she wasn't the shy type, but meeting so many new cats at once made her a bit nervous.

Ivyhawk had told her a little about the Clans' other healers but left out details, apparently so that she'd get to experience everything without any preconceived notions.

All she really knew were their names, and even then she wasn't sure who was who.

A fluffy cream-furred tom pads up first, followed closely by a skinny gray and white tom who seems to almost be clinging to him.

"Ivyhawk! Good to see you," the cream-furred tom mews, blue eyes shining with kindness.

"Hey," the RiverClan medicine cat replies, smiling weakly.

The gray and white tom says nothing, round blue-green eyes scanning Wavepaw's form.

She felt the tension radiating off him and sensed it affecting her own body; he seemed nervous, almost scared. But why?