Chapter Three: [Silverpaw]

Silverkit sits at the mouth of the SkyClan nursery, watching the bustling camp with a steady gaze.

Behind her squirms her brother, Squirrelkit- the ginger tom struggles in their mother Rosebush's grasp as she tries to smooth down his messy fur.

It had at last come time for their apprentice ceremony, though the silver tabby wasn't quite excited.

She was pleased, relieved to finally get out of a very crowded nursery, but expressing excitement required energy she'd rather spend thinking.

Silverkit sighs as her mother utters a rebuke against Squirrelkit, whose fidgeting quickly subsides.

Little clouds of white vapor puff out in front of her face, and her whiskers twitch from the cold.

Unlike her more fluffy brother, Silverkit had short striped fur that didn't conserve heat well.

It complicated the matter of staying warm, and though she didn't quite enjoy greenleaf either, at least it had been bearable.

Rosebush nudges her kits to their paws, letting out a fatigued sigh.

"Alright, dears, let's get to the center of camp. We don't want to be late," the queen murmurs.

The silver tabby senses just a little tremor in her mother's voice as Rosebush's gaze sweeps over her, but ignores it.

Most cats tended to act like that, especially Hailwatcher, who'd resorted to overtly avoiding her whenever necessary.

Squirrelkit pads beside his sister as they trudge through a thin layer of snow, fluffy tail flicking back and forth.

The fluffy ginger tom neglects to look over at the silver tabby- another thing Silverkit had grown accustomed to, sad as it was.

Something had changed between them, something that had to do with the move to SkyClan no one wished to discuss.

Silverkit approaches the pile of rocks upon which Featherstar and Mudslip are perched and seats herself next to a loudly purring Fidgetkit.

Squirrelkit makes a show of padding to the other side of the group of kits to seat himself beside Tinykit, and Silverkit twitches an ear as Rosebush sits down beside a golden-yellow furred tom called Haystep.

A few other cats, including Specklefrost and her mate, Timbernose, sit in a ragtag half-circle surrounding the rock pile.

"Hey, Silverkit," Fidgetkit murmurs, kneading the hard ground intensely with her paws.

The cream and brown she-kit was always moving around, fittingly enough.

"..Hello," Silverkit replies flatly, twitching an ear.

The silver tabby glances over to see Palekit and Thistlekit sitting shoulder to shoulder, her green eyes flickering emotionlessly.

She momentarily meets the gaze of Featherstar, who offers her a professional but friendly smile she neglects to reciprocate.

In response to this, the SkyClan leader rises to her paws, feathered tail sweeping grandly behind her.

"May all cats old enough to catch their own prey gather here for a Clan meeting!"

Silverkit stiffens as the ambient volume swells and cats come streaming out from dens and join the crowd.

Large numbers of cats, especially the sort that tended to stare at her, made her a bit uncomfortable.

The silver tabby observes Beechfoot leading Hailwatcher to a spot beside the rock pile and returns the latter's gaze as he stares directly at her.

From her position fox-lengths away, Silverkit sees fear flicker in the medicine cat's eyes.