Chapter Fourteen: [Goosedown]

Goosedown and Elmshade pad toward the secluded corner of ThunderClan camp containing the elder's den, exchanging concerned looks all the while.

"You think Houndfang has information for us?" Elmshade mews, glancing up at Goosedown.

"He should," the speckled black tom replies.

"Remember that time we were cleaning out the elder's den and Houndfang had just retired?"

Elmshade raises a brow.

"You mean when we had to get Crickethop because he started yelling something about traitors?"

Goosedown wilts sheepishly.

"Well- yes. Sort of. There's one cat that always causes that reaction with him, and it's Meadowstar. She makes him remember something, maybe from the war."

"Maybe he'll have something to tell us about any motive Meadowstar might have," Elmshade murmurs.

"And I'll do most of the talking."

"Wouldn't have it any other way," Goosedown mews with a wink as the pair reach the elder's den entrance.

-=-

Pushing his way inside after Elmshade, Goosedown examines the interior of the elder's den.

An uncomfortable draft blusters through, and Goosedown fluffs up his fur. Near the back, a heavily scarred black-furred figure lies hunched between the wall and a pile of scattered moss, working anxiously at the ground with brown-tipped paws.

"Houndfang?" Elmshade mews softly, tipping her head.

"Who is it?" Houndfang rasps in reply, turning around; his dulled yellow eyes stare fearfully into the darkness.

"It's Elmshade, and Goosedown," the brown tabby murmurs, getting a bit closer.

"How are you doing today?"

Houndfang neglects to reply.

"We had some questions, if you don't mind answering them," Elmshade continues, not missing a beat.

"Go ahead," Houndfang mews, sounding somewhat defeated.

"We wanted to know why you don't trust Meadowstar," Goosedown pipes up, giving his mate a lick on the cheek.

"She's a traitor!" the frail elder hisses at the inquiry, a strange demeanor overtaking him; his posture stiffens, and his eyes, though still fearful, glimmer with desperation.

"She's like Shredstar...she wants SkyClan gone."

Goosedown pauses, sharing a concerned look with Elmshade.

"Shredstar..." Houndfang murmurs, sounding very distant; his claws flex erratically, scoring the moss nest underneath him.

"Curse him!"

Feeling a pang of familiarity at the noise, Goosedown recoils slightly.

Elmshade frowns, delicately placing a paw on her growing stomach.

"What did Shredstar do, Houndfang?" she mews in a tone implying she knows what's coming.

The black and brown tom begins to hyperventilate and twitch, seeming to relieve it all again in his mind.

"He killed my brothers. Brought the three of us out into the territory and slaughtered them. Couldn't do a thing to spare myself from it all..."

Goosedown and Elmshade share a horrified look and both open their mouths to say something, but falter upon noticing that Houndfang stares down at the ground.