Chapter Twelve: [Silverpaw]

Silverpaw hops off the log bridging the mainland to the Gathering island, flanked by Ravenpaw.

The silver tabby glances up at the massive tree standing valiantly at the back of the island, squinting at the blue-gray tom perched on one of the higher branches.

Silverpaw watches Featherstar pad through the forming crowd before breaking her gaze away and scanning for a place to sit.

Beside her, Ravenpaw bounces, rocking back and forth whenever he hits the ground.

"This is so exciting!" he chirps, purring loudly.

"Are you excited, Silverpaw?"

"I suppose I am, a little bit," the silver tabby replies, eyeing Squirrelpaw and the other apprentices as they pad off into the crowd; in the corner of her vision, she sees a bush that'd make a suitable seating place.

"I'll save us somewhere to sit. You can go introduce yourself to everyone, but don't get lost."

"'Kay!" Ravenpaw mews, bounding off into the crowd.

Silverpaw never understood outgoing cats- smiling and talking were tiring, and so was being exposed to gratuitous loud noise.

As she nears the bush she'd eyed moments earlier, she sighs in annoyance upon discovering that a light brown tabby tom had taken a seat there; his spiky fur protrudes out in all directions.

He turns to glare at her through narrowed aqua eyes, muzzle scrunched into a snarl.

"What do you want?" he hisses.

"Nothing, actually," Silverpaw replies calmly.

"I wasn't aware that you were here until I approached."

"Yeah, right," the tabby apprentice mutters, cutting his eyes at Silverpaw.

Unfazed, the silver tabby seats herself and begins smoothing down her fur.

"I'm waiting for my friend to finish socializing but since you seem rather...curmudgeonly, I suppose I can keep you company."

"What should I want your company?" the brown tabby snaps.

Silverpaw bristles, getting annoyed.

"It's not as if anyone else is here to provide you any," she retorts.

The tabby apprentice sighs.

"Fine, whatever."

"I'm Falconpaw, by the way."

"I'm Silverpaw," the silver tabby replies gracefully.

"Which Clan are you from?" she adds.

"RiverClan," Falconpaw replies, now eyeing Silverpaw up and down with a skeptical glint in his eyes.

"That's interesting. I'm from SkyClan."

Falconpaw begins to mutter something but is drowned out by the chaos of Ravenpaw dashing up to the pair with a blue-gray and brown she-cat in tow.

"Silverpaw!" the black tom yowls, screeching to a halt.

Ravenpaw beckons the blue-gray she-cat forward, grinning brightly.

Silverpaw notices that Falconpaw glances away upon noticing the other she-cat.

"This is Wavepaw," Ravenpaw mews, bouncing from paw to paw.

"She's from RiverClan!"

"Hi!" Wavepaw mews, sporting the same bright grin as Ravenpaw.

"Hello," Silverpaw replies, forcing her features to soften into a smile-adjacent gesture.