tear this house apart

{high school au}

Mikey first meets Pete at a party, and they're both really, really drunk.

Mikey knows who Pete is before that point. It's impossible to go to his school and not know who Pete Wentz is: senior, soccer star, tattooed and sometimes even eyelinered and somehow getting away with it all. But the only time Mikey's even had something close to a conversation with him was once when he was waiting for the bus, and even then he didn't say a word; he'd watched from the other side of the school gates as Pete had shouted something harsh and angry to another guy a fair way away from him, from the soccer team, and then turned around and kicked the gate before snarling, "What the fuck are you looking at?" at Mikey and then stalking off.

Mikey doesn't really count that as meeting him, as such, so really, the first time he meets Pete is at a party. It's being thrown by some guy Mikey doesn't really know, because the football team won a game, or because there's going to be a game, or something. Mikey doesn't really know. Mikey doesn't really know anyone there, in truth. He only shows up because his friend has a thing for a cheerleader and promised to supply booze for both him and Mikey, and it's not like he's got anything else to do anyway.

He sort of regrets it once he's there. He gets too drunk too quickly and spends fifteen minutes waiting to take a piss, and most people there are people on a sports team or at least the kind of people who actually follow the games, so he feels kind of out of place. He doesn't even know when the last game of any kind was; a guy comes up to him and says, "Great game, huh?" and Mikey says, blankly, "Yeah," and then walks off, because he's drunk enough to not even bother trying to be polite.

He ends up in the back yard, sat on the smallest, most pointless wall he's ever seen, his cup of punch (plus a whole lot of someone's mom's vodka) on the floor by his feet and one of the cigarettes he relieved Gerard of before Gerard went back to New York in his mouth as he fumbles with his lighter. He hasn't got much coordination by now. It's fucking cold, as well, and he's shivering a little. He gets it lit, though, and his lighter is back in his pocket and he's slowly exhaling the first trail of smoke when the back door opens and there's a sudden burst of music before someone comes out and ruins his peace.

It's Pete Wentz, and so this is how Mikey really does meet him: reaching down awkwardly to grab his drink for another sip as Pete stumbles outside with a relieved sounding laugh. Mikey doesn't say anything, because he never has before and he's not that kind of drunk, but Pete walks right over to him and sits down heavily on the wall next to him. It's not as though he's inappropriately close or anything, but he's closer than Mikey would ever sit next to a stranger.

Mikey takes another drag on his cigarette. Pete says, "Hey," and then, "So you totally have the right idea, here, man."

Mikey blinks slowly. He's not sure that makes much sense, and he doesn't know if it's because he's drunk or because Pete is. After a second, he reluctantly lifts up the arm holding his cigarette to offer it to Pete, because that's all he logically thinks Pete can mean.

Pete just laughs, in that too loud way everyone laughs when they've had too much spiked punch. "Dude, no," he says. "They're so fucking bad for you, I was just talking about being out here and getting away from everyone. It's a pretty good idea."

Mikey doesn't exactly have anything to say to that, but Pete seems to be waiting for an answer. He's looking at Mikey in an expectant sort of way, anyway, so Mikey figures he must be and says, after a pause that drags on longer than he thinks it should, "Yeah." He even adds, after another few seconds, "I guess."

Pete doesn't say anything after that, though. He sits there, staring at the floor now in silence while Mikey watches a slow frown tug the corners of his mouth down, feeling kind of captivated by it. Then Pete turns, suddenly, facing Mikey once more and looking straight at him, eye to eye as he says, "You know what, I don't fucking - yeah, I will have some of that, actually. If it's cool." He holds out his hand as though he's going to take the cigarette from Mikey now whether it's still cool or not.