this is a love song

For Pete, it's the details. That's what everything comes down to in his life - it's not the huge, life-changing events that stick with him and throw him off course, it's the little details that dig into his soul and hang on.

When he first saw Mikey at Warped, there were so many things about him that drew Pete closer, he didn't even know where to start. Mikey was all long limbs and knees and elbows and pretty much the opposite of Pete in every way. He didn't have to throw himself around or talk a lot to get attention - all he did was stand there, but attention came to him.

It was the details about Mikey Way that fucking killed Pete. Pete had been talking to him for ten minutes when he wanted to know everything about Mikey - where he got his glasses, how he got his hair to do that, how he exuded that aura of just completely and wholeheartedly not caring about what was going on around him. Mikey didn't just zone out a little - Pete could see him completely check out of a conversation with someone he wasn't interested in. It was like he wasn't there, like he went away some place in his head.

Pete wanted to know where he went. Pete wanted to know everything about Mikey Way.

By the end of their first conversation at the tour, Pete had his hand around Mikey's wrist and was dragging back to the tour buses. "Which one is yours?" he asked over his shoulder, and Mikey ducked his head in the general direction of one of the buses. When Pete tugged him along behind him, Mikey's sneakers dragged a little on the hot asphalt of the parking lot, but he moved his hand so his fingers curled around Pete's wrist.

They were in it together from the very start.

They took over the lounge area on the My Chem bus and Mikey played Pete music he'd never really listened to before, and hearing it with Mikey made him love it. It seemed new and different and perfect and it made his heart swell. Mikey pressed his earbuds into Pete's ears and controlled the iPod, staring at Pete from the other end of the couch, legs curled up under him awkwardly.

It should have been weird and stressful to have someone stare at him while he listened, but it was Mikey Way staring at him and playing him the best music Pete had ever heard in his life, so instead it was awesome. The music wasn't anything he would have probably picked up himself, but Mikey would, like, gauge his reaction to a song, and then intently run his thumb around and around the scroll wheel and each time, it landed on the next perfect thing.

Pete's face hurt from smiling. Mikey's eyes flickered over Pete's face continually from the foot of the couch, and Pete scooted forward, nudging Mikey's legs until he stretched out and let Pete drape himself half on top of him. "Mikey," he said, settling his head on Mikey's chest, and pulling one earbud out, reaching up to push it gently into Mikey's ear. "This is awesome."

Mikey shifted under him, like he couldn't get comfortable, but then, Pete was learning that Mikey never looked particularly comfortable. Mikey settled back a little, then pushed the earbud further into his ear and leaned his head against Pete's. The music slid through the space in between them and Pete pushed his hand up under Mikey's t-shirt. His fingers were cold in the air-conditioning of the bus, but Mikey didn't flinch. He just curled up closer to Pete and moved his fingers on the iPod to turn the music up a tiny bit.

It was funny - when his band came in a little later, Mikey didn't jump up or even move. Pete pulled his fingers out from under Mikey's shirt, but he didn't lift his head off his chest - it would have pulled the earbuds out - and Mikey didn't seem to mind. They got a really weird look from Toro, and Frank pursed his lips, staring first at them, and then craning his neck to look behind him as Mikey's brother climbed into the bus. Gerard didn't even seem to notice them - he was focused on the coffee maker on the counter, and went directly for it, setting to work scooping enough coffee for a full pot and singing to himself a little bit. Frank raised an eyebrow at Mikey, right over Pete's head, but Mikey didn't move, other than his fingers keeping beat to the music against the small of Pete's back. Pete closed his eyes against Mikey's chest, and listened to his heart beat. It sounded like it was in time to the music.