the one where mikey accidentally buys panties and pete goes with it

Mikey Way wakes up much too early. When he opens his eyes, the light seeping into the room is pale white. He groans, rubs at his stinging eyes, and turns over, careful not to disturb his sleeping boyfriend who's cuddled up beside him. The clock reads 7:26 AM, meaning Mikey got about four hours of sleep last night. Or this morning. Whatever.

He tries to fall back asleep, he really does. But no matter how he shifts, or how much he tries to relax, he just can't. A little after eight, he gives up.

And, just his luck, he and Pete are out of coffee. Lovely. They don't even have the kind of cereal he likes.

He grabs a sticky note and a pen and scrawls out a note for Pete saying where he is, slapping it onto the fridge before he leaves.

It takes him nearly ten minutes to find his keys which are, of course, sitting out in the open in the dead center of the kitchen counter.

He really, really needs some coffee.

***

Mikey has a venti espresso from Starbucks in his right hand and a shopping basket in his left. God bless whoever came up with the idea to put a Starbucks in every Target within a forty-mile radius of his and Pete's apartment. If he didn't have a coffee before leaving the store, he probably would have died on the drive home by falling asleep at the wheel or something.

Mikey's already picked out two boxes of cereal, his favorite and a box of Pete's favorite. He's standing in line behind a pretty brunette girl, the kind he probably would have hit on if he was single. Or, you know. Not gay.

She's only buying a couple items, so Mikey puts his two boxes of cereal on the conveyor belt. There isn't a plastic separator attached to the side, and Mikey makes sure to leave a wide gap between his items and hers before putting the basket down and flipping through a gossip magazine stacked on a shelf next to the register.

"The cereal's yours?" the lady working the cash register asks Mikey. He looks up, completely engrossed in probably the millionth article written about Kim Kardashian, and nods. The cashier is done about three seconds later. Damn. He was really looking forward to hearing the outcome of Kim and Scott's fight.

He pays and thanks the cashier when she wishes him a nice rest of his day, taking the single bag and leaving to go back home.

When he gets back to the apartment, Pete's awake. He's curled up on the couch with a cup of tea, legs crossed under him and a book propped up on the coffee table. Mikey watches Pete take a sip from the mug. He's always been slightly envious of his boyfriend, who can drink both tea and coffee. If Mikey could stand to drink tea, he wouldn't have even had to go out this morning.

Mikey puts the bag and his keys down on the kitchen table and slings himself on the couch next to Pete.

"Good morning, cutie," he greets, kissing Pete's soft cheek. Pete smiles a little at the name and puts his cup down to snuggle up against Mikey.

"Morning, Mikes."

"How's your hot leaf juice?" Mikey asks, running his fingers through Pete's dark hair.

Pete giggles, "Shut the hell up, Way. Coffee's just hot bean juice."

Mikey laughs and leans his cheek against the top of Pete's head. "I got cereal. You want some?"

"Depends," Pete says. "What kind is it?"

"Cinnamon Toast Crunch."

Pete springs to life at that, all pretenses of sleepiness dropped. He detaches himself from Mikey and practically sprints to the table, taking out his box of cereal from the bag. Mikey comes over to the table as Pete is about to go over to grab a bowl from the cabinet, but Pete pauses and reaches back into the white plastic of the bag.