4

We walked in silence for what seemed like half of an hour. I couldn't force my lips to part and say a single word as I replayed the recent events that transpired.

On my wedding day, I was kidnapped by two strange men straight from the chapel then rescued by the true prince of Driscoll who took their lives then sent a threat and insult back to my father.

My eyes subtly dropped down to the prince who stared ahead. The sound of his armor and the hooves of his horse were the only things keeping us from complete silence. I was grateful for it. It gave me time to think.

How am I to be surprised at the death of the thief? Did I not have my own plans to kill him? Well.. I knew I couldn't exactly kill him. I simply would prefer to run away and live in the forest like a nymph.

I shook my head at the idea of me surviving off the land around me.

How could I even dream of thriving in this forest if I've known nothing but my castle and the pages of books? Sure, I've indulged in a few non fiction and historical pieces but to put words to action would be punishment.

Even my own maids were just as confined in the village walls as I was to the castle. They would simply shrug every time I would ask what it was like in the neighboring kingdoms or brush me to the side when I asked of other princesses.

It's not as if they had the funds to travel regardless. Part of me thinks the other kingdoms would turn them away. It's very well known how much our kingdom was disliked by others. I still remember watching our kingdom balls become less filled, the streets emptier, and eventually the quiet commons. My father had yelled for weeks about the lack of trade and travelers but it was useless.

We had become a stain on the map in every kingdom.

A sharp whistle caught my attention and I looked over to see the Prince watching me. His helmet hid his face but yet through the slits his eyes held my own, watching me inquisitively.

"You have been silent." He speaks up and I frown slightly, "So have you." He hums in response before nodding his head, "Pardon me, princess. I am Malik Osiris Driscoll.. Prince and Head General of Driscoll." He formally introduced himself with a small bow and my eyes widen slightly at his General title. I give him a small bow, "I am Annmarie Sofia Bellemonte.. Princess of Bellemonte." I introduce myself and feel my cheeks warm at his stare.

He was intense to say the least.

"Your age?" He asks and I clear my throat before sitting straighter, "Nineteen.. Born the Twenty Fourth of October.. And you?" I kept my tone solid but soft as I let my eyes wander back to his horse. My fingers hesitantly played with its hair.

"Twenty two.. Born the fourteenth of June." His response made me relax but I tried my best not to give him a reaction. I hum this time, "Our ages are not far apart." I could feel my chest lighten at the news.

Knowing I wasn't rescued by another greedy old man made me feel much better. In fact, there was a new found excitement to know who's under the helmet.

"You said you are a General.. You've commanded armies?" I question and he nods his head, "Many. I've yet to lose a battle." I watch pride fill his eyes as he stood up straighter. His large frame truly had to be a sight in the battlefield. He reminded me of the giants I read of in stories. Strong arms and back like an ox with the height of a grizzly bear.

I think I would sob if I was a soldier against him.

"Have you fought against my kingdom?" I couldn't help my question. My father would never let me in conference rooms or in the company of any of his army men.