5

Suds covered my body in smooth white streaks as I bathed in peace. I couldn't express how amazing it felt to be clean once again. No more sweat from my corset or that sick feeling from being around those thieves. It all was melting off my skin and leaving me refreshed.

"I earned this." I sighed softly as my shoulders sank lower into the bath until my chin caressed the top. My eyes slowly closed as the steam kissed my warm cheeks.

"I agree." A voice behind me made me jump and peek over my shoulder. The prince stood in the entrance, eyes on me as he held two steaming bowls. My arms quickly crossed over my chest, "D-Don't look!" I scolded and watched as he quickly turned around, "Pardon me." He cleared his throat awkwardly.

"One second please." I tried to keep my voice calm as I raised out the water and carefully climbed out the tub. The cold air felt like a shock and shivers coursed through my body as I tiptoed over to the privacy screen.

"I've brought us dinner. The chef prepared an old traditional meal." He spoke quietly as he held the hot bowls. I did my best to throw my night gown on, "O-Oh! That's a pleasant surprise. It smells delightful." My voice wavered with my struggle and fast beating heart.

The nightgown was a safe length but the fabric was certainly thin and almost sheer. I was scared to step too close to the candle in case it exposed me to the Prince. I quickly let my hair down to cover my chest and back as he kept speaking, "I hope you like salmon. If not, I can have the chef prepare another meal." I checked myself over one last time before approaching him.

"There's no need. I'm sure his hard work will taste wonderful." I hesitantly stepped around him to gently take a bowl from his hands. His closed eyes made me giggle, "Thank you. I think you can open your eyes now too." I teased lightly as he hesitantly fluttered them open.

"I didn't mean to barge in earlier." He apologized as I lead him towards the table. I shook my head as I sat down, "No. I should have gotten from the bath ages ago. I just got a bit greedy." He hummed softly as he sat across from me, eyeing me closely, "Then I'm sure you're pleased with your stay so far?" He questioned and I nodded my head once again.

"It's been very pleasant. Thank you." I couldn't make my eyes meet his as I let them look to my food. My eyes widened at the Salmon, greens, and rice. I couldn't help my smile as I lowered my fork into the fish, "Salmon.. I haven't had it in ages." I happily took a fork full and almost moaned at the taste.

"Bellemonte is an agricultural based kingdom, no?" The prince questioned and I nodded my head, "We used to be. Times changed and our kingdom's focus has shifted to herbs, spices, and vegetables of the sort." I explained before taking another fork full.

"Shame really. Your land has much potential not being utilized." His tone seemed disappointed which made my lips drop to a frown. The shift in conversation was clearly unwarranted and a surprise to me but I brushed it off with another bite of my food.

"My people work hard with what they have. I'm proud of what we've kept up despite the war." I tried to end the conversation and continue our meal but the Prince clearly was not catching on.

"I wouldn't count it as a war. Your army barely put up a fight." His annoyed tone made my fork still as I slowly chewed my food. We sat in silence for a moment as I swallowed, "Peaceful ideals is what governs my people. They did not have the heart to fight. What father or son would like to leave their families to fight another man's battle?" I snapped as I looked to the prince.

His face remained calm as he continued eating, "Then do not become a soldier." His answer was simple. Too simple for my liking as I held my fork tighter, "They had no choice. My father gave them false hopes of sanctuary. With sickness and hunger, would you not enlist too?" I questioned and watched him eat quietly.