2

It wasn't long before I was sat in a carriage and the view of my home faded from my view. I didn't have many happy memories there but I still cherished the few I did.

I believe the only thing I'll truly miss is our old barn cat. She truly wasn't the best at her job but the whole castle still adored her the same. We tease her and call her "Knightly" for her bravery but it's clear her only battle is staying awake more than a few hours.

The memory made my chest lighten but not enough as the carriage pulled onto the busy common streets. The celebration was in full effect as people rushed out their businesses and homes to cheer and dance as we passed. An elbow against my ribs made me straighten my back and force a smile. I waved at the townsfolk who threw rice and cheered in the streets as they followed behind.

I couldn't hold any anger towards them. They were victims of my Father in the same way I was. They've lost more than I and it would only be selfish to hate them. In fact, I truly believe I would be the loudest in the crowd if I was told the king's plague will end in only a few hours.

It wasn't long before the church came into view and the crowd had followed us all the way there. My hands shook in my lap as the carriage came to its eventual stop. Hastily, my father swung open the door, ignoring the guards who tried to aid him out. Instead, he pointed to me, "Get her quickly! We must not be late." He snapped and the guards didn't hesitate to grab my arms, almost pulling me out of the carriage. I could only gasp and hide the fear on my face as they guided me right to the church doors. My dress hid the fact that my feet weren't even touching the ground.

We stopped right outside the church doors before they placed me back down. I yanked my arms away and gave them a harsh glare before they bowed and walked away quickly. My father turned to me one last time, "Smile. This is a celebration. The people are watching." He snapped as his lips turned up in a smile that didn't reach his eyes.

A sigh left my mouth as I forced a smile on my face. He gave me a happy nod before turning to the pianist, queuing the music to start. The instrumentals rang loudly as my veil was quickly lowered over my face.

"All rise." I could hear the pastor inside calling out and instantly my heart dropped. I couldn't pin the blame on my teary eyes or my veil for my lack of vision as my father walked me down the blurry aisle. Every step forward felt like dragging iron through mud. I tried to focus on my breaths as I could feel us getting closer to the stage. The music faded and a heavy silence filled the air as my feet planted on the velvet platform.

My father turned me to the prince before stepping away. I took my own small step back as we waited in silence.

"You may be seated." The priest began his speech but I payed it no mind. My eyes almost instantly focused on the feet in front of me. Mud covered his boots and the bottom of his pants as if they'd been worn on a farm. The sight made my nose scrunch and disgust fill my face. The air also had an earth smell of salt and dirt which made me hold my bouquet closer.

Did he not prepare for today? Was he a slob?

Maybe sickness will claim me before we get to his chambers. Hopefully it would take my life before he could take my virgini-

"Do you, Princess Annamarie of Bellmonte, take Prince Malik Osiris of Driscoll to be your lawfully wedded husband?" The priest pauses, awaiting my answer as I struggled to even form a word. My throat felt as if it could only push out a sigh.

The silence was loud between us which made the pews begin to fill with murmurs.

"She does." My fathers voice made me jump slightly as I tried to regain my composure. "The princess is a very shy woman. She is quite nervous." He explains politely before putting a hand on my arm. He squeezed it tight, "I-I do." I speak up and hold back a wince as he finally let go again.