9. Magenta

"Keep the pace up, guys! You're being overrun by the girls!" Valerio shouted, clapping his hands.

"Run, buttercup! Move your ass!" Beta Stefano gave a rude shove to Tiziano.

First morning of the retreat, first workout. Alongside the whole female team. They had all met at nine o'clock at the sports field located not far from the scouts village.

The girls had arrived the night before, when Tiziano and the others had already had dinner and gone back to their rooms for a very early curfew. Tiziano only saw the girls the morning after, while Claudio and the betas had sneaked out of their rooms to give a look at them the night before. Claudio had been back in the room after half an hour and Tiziano pretended to sleep: the last thing he wanted was to listen to a bunch of unpleasant remarks about the girls. Ironically unpleasant, yeah.

The first night sharing the room with Claudio had been less traumatic than Tiziano had thought. In the evening, they had cordially ignored each other - Claudio with his phone, Tiziano with a book. The morning after, Tiziano had woken up earlier and went out of the room without disturbing his teammate. Tiziano hoped this pattern wouldn't change.

At the moment, boys and girls were doing some running laps all together, and there were lots of whispers and comments among the boys.

"Ok, that one's clearly a man."

"Blondie is hot, though!"

"Nainggolan has nice tits. And a nice big ass!" Gennaro was talking about a girl who was wearing a jersey with the AS Roma midfielder's name on the back.

"Too big for my taste."

"And she looks like a gnome."

"A paper bag on the head will do."

Tiziano was passed by a tall black girl with a cloud of hair tightly tied on the top of her head. She hit him with her elbow, as she passed him. "Whops, sorry!" she said, with a fleeting smile.

Tiziano raised a hand as if to say "no problem". He experienced a weird deja-vu feeling, looking at her from behind.

"Wow, you impressed her, huh?" Gianluca said.

"Yeah, I'm so irresistible" Tiziano replied.

"Buttercup got himself a girlfriend" someone else commented.

"Buttercup is in love!"

"She's very pretty!" Simone added, running alongside Tiziano and patting his shoulder.

Tiziano half smiled. Simone had just patted his shoulder. Simone had just patted his shoulder. Simone had...

"Pretty? That one? I wouldn't go that far. She's pretty compared to her average teammates, maybe" Stefano said.

"She's not bad at all" Gianluca commented. "Maybe her legs are a bit too thick."

"If this was a movie, you would end up with her" Andrea said to his best friend.

Gianluca snorted. "Yeah... a movie from twenty years ago. Interracial is the new fad."

Andrea and Gianluca giggled. They had a strange way of teasing each other, always borderline politically incorrect, a great sign of the closeness they shared. They often managed to embarrass their mates, whenever they went a bit too far, and only few dared to laugh: almost everyone was afraid to offend Gianluca and sound like a racist.

Tiziano thought about Claudio's edifying sermon about irony. Well, Andrea and Gianluca's jokes were ironic. Really ironic and funny. Claudio and the betas' were not.