Is Love At First Sight Real?

Jungkook has taken you in his arms, keeping your head above water. He gently strokes your cheek, "Hey, open your eyes, look at me."

Your eyes flutter open, and you whisper, 'Can't --catch-- my breath."

Just as the first mate reached Jungkook, she took in the situation and slipped the t-shirt on you with the help of Jungkook, who is gentlemanly enough to keep his eyes adverted as he kept your head above water.

Still dazed, you cough, and he turns you to your side. You roll back to him and hold on to him. It feels easier to breathe on this side, plus it was nice having him to hold on to.

"It's easier to breathe on this side," you tell him. He smiles and carefully secures his hold on you.

The crew member who brought you a shirt helped Jungkook get you to the boat, and the captain helped lift you in. You thought you were going to pass out from the pain.

Jungkook asks, "What happened?"

You are trying to take a breath. "My Captain's wife . . . went into early labor . . . just . . ." You take in a shallow breath. " As we were readying the boat . . . to leave, the first mate, his brother,  took over for him." 

As you were talking, Jungkook's Captain had already been in touch with the Coast Guard. He came to where you two were and sat.

"Miss, They found the boat and the driver several miles down. Thankfully, the boat ran out of gas and came to a stop on its own. When the coast guard arrived, he was slumped over the wheel."

 "Oh no, is he dead?" You fearfully ask.

"No, ma'am, but he was unconscious. He's in a diabetic coma and on his way to the hospital."

Jungkook suddenly realized he didn't know your name once the Captain called you Miss.

"This is Captain Kim and his first mate, Soo." He points to his captain and the woman who came out to help you.

You smile, "Hello . . . . thank you . . .for  help . . .helping me."

Jungkook looks at you with concern and then introduces himself. "I'm Jeon Jungkook, but um,  you can call me Kooki."

You whisper out, "Kooki, so  . . .cute." 

He didn't know if you meant the name was cute or if he was, but he is hoping you think he is.

"My name . . is Keilani, but you can call  . . .me Lani."

Jungkook looks at you warmly,  "That's a beautiful name. Are you from one of the islands?"

The captain and his first mate turn away, trying to hide their smiles after seeing Jungkook blush.

You smile, "Yes, Maui . . .you . . . Jungkook?"

"Seoul, South Korea." You smile at him.

"My mom was from Seoul . . .my father is . . . Hawaiian." Talking is becoming painful.

You stop to try and get some good breaths in, "dammit..." 

You gently cross your arms across your chest as it hurts to take a full breath. "I think I have a broken rib or two."

Jungkook takes you back in his arms, holding you against him the way you felt you could breathe best before being pulled out of the water. He liked how you felt pressed against him.

 He holds you as the boat picks up speed to get to the waiting ambulance. Noticing you grimacing more with the jerking pace of the boat over the waves, he gently pulls you a little snugger to him. To use his chest as a brace in case your ribs were broken.  Hoping that his holding you this way may provide some relief from the rocking of the boat.

They get to the marina dock, where an ambulance is waiting. The paramedics rush on board and help take you to the ambulance while Jungkook stays beside you.

"Mr. Kim," Jungkook calls back to his boat captain. " Please have a car pick me up later at the hospital."

"Sure thing, Mr. Jeon."

He rides in the back of the ambulance with you, holding your hand. The warmth of his hand makes you feel all glittery inside, as if your body is tingling with sparks. 'Maybe it's a brain injury instead of broken ribs,' you think, chastising yourself for feeling this way.

You aren't scared of going to the hospital.  Goodness, you have been in enough scrapes and received your fair share of bumps and bruises on many of your physically challenging adventures. The emergency room staff and you are on a first-name basis. They are like family.

 You think, 'Doctor Kekoa isn't going to be happy to see me so soon, especially not after that last time when he asked me to see if I could go for at least three months without a visit to the emergency room. It has only been one month since my last visit for a dislocated shoulder from skydiving. How was I to know there would be a sudden downburst of wind?'

Jungkook is riding across from you, holding your hand. He hasn't taken his eyes off you. He thinks, 'Is there such a thing as love at first sight? Because if there is, is this how it feels?'