2☆Old Friend

"Scotty Smalls?"
     The boy stopped tossing the ball in the air and looked at Y/n, perplexed. He studied her face for a moment, then a grin spread across his face. "Y/n Y/l/n?" Scotty walked down the yard and approached Y/n at the sidewalk, still smiling. "Y/n! What are you doing here of all places?!"
      "I just moved here! Like- today. Wait, I had no idea you live here!"
      "I moved here about two years ago! Man, I could've used a familiar face when I first got here," he chuckled bashfully. Y/n, thrilled to see her childhood best friend again and desperate to catch up, said, "So, what have you been doing... these past two years?" Scotty laughed at this awkward attempt at making conversation.                     
     "How 'bout we catch up inside and get some water," he suggested, wiping sweat from his forehead. She agreed quickly, realizing frantically that she was getting sunburnt. "Hey, your house is really nice! Mine looks like it got hit by a tornado." Scotty laughed, then led Y/n inside and into the kitchen where his mother sipped an iced tea at the counter. "Hey mom, look who it is!" Scotty said excitedly. Scotty's mom looked up quizzically. "Who?" Slowly, a wave of recognition came across her face. "Y/n? Oh dear, it's wonderful to see you! What are you doing around here? How are your parents?"
      "We just moved here; got here today actually! And my parents are... good, I think?" Scotty's mom clapped her hands together excitedly. "Why don't you get your parents to come over for dinner? Bill's cooking up burgers and I'm putting together my famous potato salad!" Y/n tried to hold back a gag at the memory of Mrs. Smalls' terrible potato salad. She could still remember pushing it around on her plate, working up the courage to take a bite.
     "That sounds great Mrs. Smalls. I can go get them now!"
     "You do that, dear. Scotty, tag along with Y/n."
     Scotty nodded but said, "I'm really thirsty actually, can I just get a dr-"
     "Chop-chop!"
     Reluctantly, Scotty lead Y/n back out of the house.