9☆The Carnival

☆Sorry about the pretty late chapter! To be honest this chapter is really weird but thank you for reading! You're awesome, love you hahahahahaha

     Only two days after the campout, the sandlot crew was back together again. They all stood at the opening of the carnival in town, counting their change. Once they figured out how much money they had, they all eagerly scurried into the park. Rides operating and children screaming could be heard all around them as they headed towards the ticket stand. Benny stepped forward and dropped the group's collection of coins and crumpled dollar bills onto the counter.
     "$6.34," he announced proudly, pushing the load of money towards the worker. The teen running the stand inspected Benny incredulously, but proceeded to hand over a line of blue tickets anyway. Benny turned on his heels and hurried away from the counter, and the rest of the boys and Y/n followed. He then handed out a few tickets to each member of the clan. The clicking of a roller coaster cart being hauled up the slope, the sound of shrieking, and the swoosh and rattle of rides surrounded the group.
     Squints pulled the crew to a balloon darts stall. "You suckers are gonna lose so badly," Squints said cockily. Kenny scoffed, "You wanna bet?" Squints considered for a moment, regret crossing his face. He then furrowed his brows and crossed his arms, tapping his foot in a cartoonish manner, "Yeah- five bucks if I win!" The two shook on it and each handed the carny operating the game a ticket. Yeah-Yeah and Bertram decided to play too while the others watched. Smalls leaned over to Y/n, "Kenny's gonna win and Squints is gonna be upset for the rest of the night." Y/n just giggled, knowing he was right. She looked to her other side, about to say something to Benny until their eyes met. He smiled at her and she quickly turned away again, her heart nearly leaping from her chest. Suddenly, she heard Kenny shout excitedly and Squints groan loudly, head thrown back and hands clasped on the side of his face. The two walked back to the group, Kenny smiling victoriously. He placed his prize, a multi-colored hat with a propeller on top, upon his head, "Pay up, Palledorous!" Squints scowled, "I don't have the money right now, idiot." Soon after, Bertram and Yeah-Yeah walked up, Bertram holding a blue bear that hugged a little red stuffed heart. Y/n smiled and clapped her hands at the pair with better sportsmanship, "Aw good job, Betram! That's so cute!" His face flushed and he held the bear out bashfully, "It's for you, actually. So, glad you like it." She smiled at him and took it, hugging it to herself. "Thank you so much, Bertram," she said cluelessly. Kenny scoffed yet again, "Don't expect the same thing from me!" She looked over at him, "Yeah, like I'd ever wear that UGLY ASS HAT." The group laughed at the offhanded insult and then they went on other rides and played more games.

     After a while, the group made their way to what was likely the last ride of the night: the ferris wheel. They all got into line, shoving each other to get ahead. Y/n giggled at Squints and Kenny arguing loudly and Ham anxiously stared up at the top of the ride, sweating profusely. Y/n walked up to Ham and handed him the teddy bear, "Hold this, he'll give you courage." Kenny and Squints turned from their bickering for a moment to make fun of Ham who just flipped them off.
     While everyone was distracted by this, Bertram approached her. He looked a bit nervous but asked quietly, "Hey, Y/n, will you go with me- on the ride, I mean?" She smiled at him, "Yeah, of course!"
     The group finally got to the front of the line. When Bertram and Y/n got into the  ferris wheel capsule, Smalls watched the pair quizzically. Bertram turned to pull the door shut behind him and he caught Smalls' warning stare that dared him to make a wrong move. The ride slowly rotated until they reached the peak. Y/n observed the world below, admiring its chaotic beauty. She voiced this admiration, "Wow, everything's so beautiful from way up here." Bertram quickly, almost impulsively replied, "You're so beautiful."
     Y/n quickly whipped her head around, "What?" He just stared at her, "I really want to kiss you right now." She studied his face, looking for signs of a lie. He leaned in and she just watched it happen in shock, mind racing. As his lips met hers, she realized she did not want to kiss her friend Bertram. So, she gently pushed him away and scooted the few inches she's able, now turning her head away, heart pounding.
He looks down at his hands, embarrassed. She muttered quietly, "Sorry. I just don't think of you like... that."  He cleared his throat loudly but simply replied, "It's fine." They rode the rest of the ride in a heavy and awkward silence.
     When they got to the ground, she rushed away to stand by the pair that had already gotten off, where Ham looked as anxious and red as she felt. He let out a heavy sigh, in a failed attempt to calm himself down. He held the teddy bear out Y/n, "Here you go, thanks, Y/n." She glanced back to Bertram who shuffled towards the group with his head down and his hands stuffed in his pockets. Y/n forced herself to smile at Ham as she took the stuffed bear that had once seemed like a meaningless token of her and Bertram's friendship, "Thanks."
     After many painstaking moments passed of Bertram and Y/n standing nearly side by side, having to pretend nothing happened, the remainder of them hopped off the ride and ran up to stand with the quad. They all clamored over each other and shoved Ham teasingly. Benny tapped Y/n on the shoulder and she jumped, turning quickly.
     "Hey, can I talk to you for a sec?" He said quietly. She nodded, grateful for a chance to get away.
     He led her just a few feet away, out of earshot of the others. "So, I was wondering...  first of all, if maybe we could hangout tomorrow? And you seem a bit off? Are you okay?" She smiled warmly, "Yeah, I'm good, thanks, Benny. And.... yeah that sounds great! Looking forward to it." He smiled back with a look of triumph.
     The pair walked side by side back to the group until everybody dispersed.