12☆Fireworks

Y/n had been listening to the buzz of excitement from the boys about the Fourth of July game for weeks. The conversation about the night had gotten her just as excited about the game as they were.

Smalls pounded on her door until Y/n's dad answered, "Hey, Scotty, what's the big-" Smalls pushed by him, "Sorry, Mr. Y/l/n."
Smalls stormed up the stairs excitedly, screaming, "Y/n! Y/n! Hurry up! Night game! Night game!"
Y/n was already in the doorway of her bedroom, beaming, "I'm ready! I'm ready!" The two took off down the stairs and out the door, right past Y/n's dad who still stood dumbfounded with the door open. The pair ran excitedly under the flashing colored lights of the fireworks. They got to the sandlot out of breath and Squints shouted, "Hurry up! My clothes are goin' outta style!"
The two looked at each other with a knowing smile and ran off to their respective positions. Someone yelled, "Smalls! Drop that god damn hotdog will ya?" Smalls glanced at the hot dog sadly before letting it fall to the floor.
Benny stood at the plate, ready to swing. Kenny pitched the ball flawlessly and Benny sent it flying way into the outfield. He took off running, tossing the bat over his shoulder. He only made it to third base.
Then, Y/n was up to bat. Yet again, Kenny threw another flawless pitch. Y/n hit it and it sailed into the air. Everyone watched the ball as it seemed to become one with the fireworks and they all stopped in their tracks, even Benny, if only briefly. While Y/n watched the fireworks shoot across the sky with crackles and booms, Ham looked at her, the fireworks lighting up her eyes, her eyes lighting a fire in his heart.
At that moment, he spontaneously decided to ask, "Y/n, please go out with me?"
"What?" She turned to him, stunned. Y/n knew Ham had a crush on her, but she really didn't expect him to ask her out; let alone, this abruptly.
"Will you go out with me?" He stared at her hopefully, almost desperately, awaiting a reply. The look in his eyes melted her heart, and she felt she had no choice but to say, "Sure."
"Great," he responded, trying to hold back his excitement. "I'll pick you up tomorrow at 5:00."