Chapter Two: The New Girl

Three weeks go by, and my apartment is exactly how I'm wanting it, it really feels like home now. I get up and get ready for work, I leave my apartment and see Mr. Hammond doing paperwork on the front desk. "Good morning Mr. Hammond." I said to him as I walk by. "Mornin' Jonas, you have a good day today." Mr. Hammond says finishing up some paperwork that he had on his desk. "Yes, I will!" I reply. Just as soon as I exit the door, I notice a moving truck outside. Next thing I see is a girl, struggling with a box. "Excuse me, do you need some help with that?" I ask. "Oh my gosh, yes please. This box is heavier than sin." The girl said, accepting my offer to help. Then as I set the box down outside of the truck, I look over to actually see the girl I was talking to. She was beautiful, she had dark blonde hair and pretty hazel eyes. I just stare at her, thinking I've never seen someone as pretty as her before.

"Is everything okay?" She said to me with a smile. "Oh, yeah sorry." I said awkward, hoping to God that she didn't notice me staring at her. "I'm Jonas." I said introducing myself. "I'm Cassidy." She said with a chuckle. As soon as I started to talk to her more, I hear the other door on the moving truck slam. "Are all those boxes out yet?" I hear as I see some guy come around. "Yeah, they are." Cassidy replies with some annoyance in her voice. "Don't get an attitude with me, and who's this guy?" He says looking at me in disgust. "His name is Jonas, he just helped me with one of the heavy boxes." She said. "Yeah, whatever." The guy said as he finishes his cigarette. "Sorry about that, it's just been a really long drive here." Cassidy tells me. "No biggie, it's all good. I got to go anyway; it was nice to meet you." I said as I wave goodbye.

As I'm on my way to work I can't help but think of Cassidy. I don't think I have ever thought about a girl this much before. She was so nice, and she was so pretty I couldn't hardly believe it. I also couldn't help but think about that guy. I don't know who he was, maybe her boyfriend or something. Whoever he was, he was really rude and didn't really seem to treat Cassidy all that well. Maybe I shouldn't look too deep into it, maybe it was just a long drive, I mean spending to much time in a vehicle definitely takes its toll. I only know that from travelling so much as a kid.

As I arrive to work, still thinking of Cassidy. My boss is standing outside the doorway of the garden center I work at. "Jonas, you're five minutes late." He exclaims. "Sorry sir, just got stuck in traffic on the way here." I say nervously. "It's fine, just don't make it a habit." My boss said in a stern voice. "Don't worry sir, I won't." I reply in relief just glad my boss wasn't mad over me being a little late. As I'm doing my rounds of watering plants, I hear the bell ring from the front door. I look over to see who walked in, and it was Cassidy. My heart started to pound out of my chest just noticing her. I swore my heart was beating so loud the whole store could hear it. Cassidy comes up to me, "Oh, hey! Jonas, right?" she says with some excitement. "Yeah." I reply with a chuckle and shakiness in my voice. "I had no idea you worked here." She said. "Yeah, I do a little bit of everything here, water plants, load gravel, mulch, and stone for people. Pretty much whatever they need me to do." I tell her thinking she can hear my heart beat out of my chest. I was nervous as could be talking to her, I really hope she doesn't notice my awkwardness.