Chapter Seventeen: A New Beginning

About a year passes by after Derrik's passing and Andrew's sentence. Life has started to fall into place. Cassidy and I are together and she's pregnant with our baby. She could go into labor at any time now, I'm on full alert. I'm so anxious about her having the baby I can't stand it. I get home from my new job and Cassidy is in the kitchen cleaning. "What are you doing babe?" I ask with a chuckle. She looks at me like a deer caught in headlights, "What the cabinets needed cleaned." She says with a smile on her face. I help her down off a chair and hug her. "You need to be taking it easy babe, I don't want you hurting yourself." I tell her worried something bad could happen. Cassidy laughs but then suddenly stops. "We need to go!" She exclaims, "My water just broke!" I get all excited but then get everything together and help her to the truck. We rush and get to the hospital. She's taken to a room, and I stand by her side letting her hold my hand as doctors work to deliver our baby.

After a good few tries, and so much tension our baby boy is born. I kiss Cassidy on the head telling her how amazing and what a great job she did. I joke around calling her mom and she gives off a big smile. The nurses wrap up our little boy and hand him to Cassidy, congrats you two, you guys are now proud parents of a little boy. The nurses take our baby back for some monitoring and Cassidy back to check on her for any stress. After a while Cassidy is brought back in and asks where our baby is, but as soon as she gets settled in the room, here the nurses come wheeling in our baby boy. They hand him over to Cassidy and I walk over to her admiring her and our son. "Do you want to hold him?" She asks, "Of course I do." I said with excitement. I walk over to hold my son, and I feel just so much joy overwhelms me. I'm already loving being a new dad.

The nurses walk in and out, checking on Cassidy making sure she's as comfortable as possible. I notice the nurses looking over at me holding our son, saying things like "That baby is so cute." or "I love seeing a happy dad." I just smile looking at our little boy thinking about what the future may hold for our new family. "How are you doing there dad?" The head nurse asks me. I reply with nothing short of a smile, "I'm doing amazing, never been happier." One of the nurses asks, "What's his name?" I look at Cassidy, she smiles knowing already what I've wanted to name him since we knew he was a boy. I look down, smile on my face and reply, "His name is Derrik, Derrik Rhodes."