Chapter Twelve: Mr. Hammonds Helping Hand

Cassidy and I standing in the doorway of her apartment, I plead with her to tell me the truth. I knew what was going on, but I needed to hear it from her. "Cassidy, I see the bruises, I hear your cries why you won't just let me help you?" I said as gently as I can. "You can't help me, Jonas." She said with tears in her eyes. I plead with her more telling her I can and that all she would have to do is come with me and we could go to the police. I know that Cassidy is scared and probably has so much running through her mind that she probably feels like her head is going to explode. "Jonas, just please stop. I know you care about me, but I can handle myself." Cassidy said sternly. "Cassidy, I miss talking to you, I want to help you." I said to her trying to reassure her that I do care for her and that I'm here for her. Cassidy then snaps at me, "Maybe I don't want your help, Jonas!" She lets out a sigh. "Look I'm sorry okay, I miss talking to you too. But Andrew is all over me right now. Please, just give me a little space for now." She said to me arms crossed keeping to herself. I start feeling bad for intruding so much. Perhaps I'm the main cause of the problem for her. "Okay, I'm sorry." I reply. Cassidy just stands there, and I decide to walk away not sure how I feel in the moment. I hear the door shut behind me as I walk to the elevator.

I get to the first floor and decide to hit the vending machine before going back to my apartment. As I stare at the machine, once again all I can think about is Cassidy. There's no way she meant what she said is there? Maybe there is, what if she's so used to the toxicity of their relationship. No, there's no way. We almost kissed at that party; I knew by the way she looked at me she wants help. She needs help, and I'm going to be the one to help her. I'll do whatever it takes to save her. I decide I don't want anything from the vending machine, and I go back to my apartment. I try laying down once again to try and go to sleep, but I couldn't get comfortable. All I can think about is how I can get Cassidy away from Andrew. The only thing I have going for evidence is assumptions. I knew what was going on, but I didn't truly have all the facts and I can't go to authorities based off of only assumptions. Plus, if I tried to get the police to check things out Cassidy would more than likely lie about the bruises. I don't blame her; I understand she's scared but if I can get her away from Andrew and prove he's an abuser he'd be arrested and taken to jail. That would be the end of her getting hurt.

I had to come up with a plan to catch Andrew in the act. Then it hit me, there are cameras all over the apartment complex there has to be something on them, right? I head back down to the main lobby looking for Mr. Hammond. I call his name a few times, I should've known he wasn't going to be here knowing how late it is. I'll have no choice but to wait until morning. I make my way back to my apartment where I try to think of other ways to catch Andrew. Perhaps I could try to record Cassidy admitting Andrew hurts her. Still, that may not be enough for police to take Andrew away. I need to get as much camera footage as possible. I finally decided to go to bed and try to get some sleep. The next morning, I wake up and immediately go to see Mr. Hammond. I see him standing in the lobby cleaning the windows, I don't think I've been so happy to see him. "Mr. Hammond!" I exclaim. "Jonas how are you, my boy?" He said with a smile. "I'm good, listen I need a favor." I said. He looks at me confused, then replies. "What can I help you with?" I tell Mr. Hammond how I think I can prove Andrew is an abuser by possible footage from the cameras.

Mr. Hammond agrees and thinks it's a good idea, so we go over and look at all the footage from the last week. The first few clips on the cams don't show much, then bingo some definite evidence. On two hallway cams and an outside cam show Andrew grabbing Cassidy roughly, pushing her, and even raising a fist at her. In a way I was satisfied that there was clear evidence that he was hurting her, but another part of me got so angry and filled with so much emotion I just wanted to take him down. "Thank you, Mr. Hammond. I really needed this. Is there any way you can tape this for me?" I ask. "Yes, I can, but it'll take me a few days. The taping for these cameras is a little older style." He said. I thank Mr. Hammond and have some relief in knowing Cassidy will be safe soon. Still, I can't call the police just yet. I need to tell Cassidy about this so that she is aware. I don't want Andrew thinking it was Cassidy that called the cops. Plus, I want to see his face when he's got cops escorting him out of the building.