Chapter Fifteen: Fighting for Life

The police radio in a squad and within a few minutes' paramedics rush in. Derrik has lost a lot of blood, and he's starting to fade. "Stay with me Derrik, I'll be in the squad with you." I said getting ready to follow the paramedics. One of the paramedics look at me, "Sorry, we need all the room possible. Meet us at the Hospital." They said rushing out the door with Derrik on a stretcher. The police then pick up Andrew in handcuffs and start to take him to a cruiser. "I need to get to the hospital." I tell Cassidy as I grab my truck keys. "Let me come with you, please. Derrik is a friend to me too." Cassidy said grabbing my hand. I smile and grab her hand to go to my truck. Just then outside the apartment complex Andrew is about to be placed in the cruiser, "This isn't over I'll be back, and I'll finish what I started!" Andrew exclaims being put in the car. I'm not intimidated, I know that Andrew will be put away for a long time. Plus, the only person on my mind right now is Derrik, he's fighting for his life. Cassidy and I get in my truck and head for the hospital. 

          I'm driving as fast as possible, going almost twenty miles over the speed limit. "I'm sorry Jonas, I'm so sorry." Cassidy apologizes out of the blue. I'm not sure why she's apologizing. She continues by saying, "Derrik wouldn't be in this situation if it wasn't for me. You wouldn't be hurt. This is my fault." I stay silent for a moment, it's not her fault this happened, I need to reassure her that it's not her fault any of this happened. "Don't say you're sorry, this wasn't your fault, if it's anyone's fault it's mine. I was the one that sent Andrew over the edge." I said hoping to reassure Cassidy. I start to tear up and I fear my best friend is going to lose his life, and if he does it was all because of me. Cassidy reaches over and puts her hand on my shoulder, "If it's anyone's fault it's Andrew's. He is the one that done all of this." She said in an aggravated tone. I just look at Cassidy, "Yeah, you're right. It is." I reply. I deep down hope that Andrew is sentenced to the fullest extent. 

          We arrive at the hospital and rush in, "I'm looking for Derrik Myers." I exclaim to the nurse at the front desk. "He's in emergency surgery, I will let the doctor know you're here. Are you family?" The nurse replies. "Yeah, he's, my brother." I say knowing that just because we aren't blood doesn't mean we aren't family. The nurse looks at me with concern, "I'll make sure the doctor updates you as soon as possible." She replies. I nod my head and go sit down. Cassidy sits down next to me. "No matter what happens I'm here for you." She said grabbing my hand. I look at her, and something comes over me, it was like an out of body experience. I put my hand on her cheek, and I lean in and kiss her. It was as if time stopped, I forgot that we were even at the hospital. I come back, "Thank you Cassidy." I said while feeling the heat from my face. Cassidy was blushing too but smiling uncontrollably. In such a bad spot, it felt like everything that just happened didn't happen. What feels like an eternity, I finally see the doctor talking to the nurse. I rush over, "Doc? I'm Jonas. How's Derrik?" The doctor pulls me to side, "Son, your friend..." He hesitates and what he says next, makes me sick to my stomach. 

          "Doc, what happened?!" I exclaim. The doctor takes a deep breath, "Son, he didn't make it. He had lost a lot of blood. He was barely alive when they arrived." The doctor tells me what I had only hoped was a bad dream. He puts his hand on my shoulder, "We took him back, tried to revive him. we done everything we could. I'm sorry." The doctor says with remorse in his voice. I yell out, "NO!" I punch the wall beside me. I fall to the ground and start crying, Cassidy runs over to me and the doctor places his hand on my back, "I'm really sorry son." he said to me. I knew he done everything he could. I come to my feet and hug the doctor thanking him for everything he done to try to save Derrik, I turn around to Cassidy crying as well and I hug her. We hug each other tight not letting one another go. Just as we break the hug a police officer walks up to us. "Are you Jonas Rhodes?" He asks me. I nod my head yes and ask what's going on. "You, Miss Rollins, and Mr. Myers need to be at court as testimonies against Andrew Curtis. Your guys' testimonies will ensure that Mr. Curtis is punished to the fullest extent." I start to tear up, telling the officer that Derrik won't be there. I explain that Derrik didn't make it. The officer writes down a hospital report from the doctor, "Andrew Curtis will be charged with murder. I'm really sorry about your friend." I shake the officer's hand as he hands us information on the court date. We sign some forms and doctors contact Derrik's father to tell him the horrible news. First the court, then burying my best friend.