Chapter Seventeen: Fatespeaker Moonslayer

A/N: Soooo, if anyone has an opinion on whose perspective I should write next, please comment here. I have the next nine chapters written, but now I don't have an idea for what should happen before school actually starts. (I wrote a mini plot between like five chapters, but I finished it now). So if you give me a perspective, I'm sure I'll be able to come up with something. (I've done most of the Jade Winglet and Deathbringer, so someone else please!)

Also, thank you (you meaning everyone reading this) so much for reading, commenting, and voting! I really appreciate it! Please check out my other stories if you have time. And now I'll stop rambling/advertising and let you get to the actual reading.

Fatespeaker Moonslayer followed her twin brother - older by fourteen minutes - up to the desk when they were called.

"Names?" the bored Segara asked.

"Fatespeaker Moonslayer and Deathbringer Moonslayer," Deathbringer answered. "Jade Winglet, grade ten, classes C and F."

The Segara yawned and after a minute or so of searching, ticked them off on a list he had in front of him. "All right, so you're going to go left. Follow the arrows. You'll get into another line, where you get priority like this one, and you'll go through security like in an airport. They're going to scan your bags and examine your Weapons."

Fatespeaker and Deathbringer headed left. "I can't believe they made us stand in line for just a paragraph of information," Fatespeaker grumbled. "Couldn't they have emailed it to us and then had us just go straight to security? Especially since we were here last year and know how it works?"

"They want to make sure we're here," Deathbringer pointed out. "But I agree it's kinda dumb."

Fatespeaker sighed as they got into the back of the security line. It was moving even more slowly than the other line, since there was only one security station and more steps to go through. There was only one station open in the previous line too, but with fewer steps, the line was moving much more quickly.

"I wonder where the others are," Fatespeaker chirped. "I wonder how this year is going to go, if it'll be as good as last year Maybe - " Her eyes widened suddenly, and she gasped. "Oh! I think I'm having a vision!" She heard Deathbringer sigh very audibly as she closed her eyes. "I predict  . . . it's going to be AWESOME! And there's going to be lots of GOOD FOOD, like maybe even WALRUS, and everything is awesome!" She opened her eyes to see Deathbringer standing against his suitcase, rubbing his forehead.

"It's times like this when I wonder how we're related," he told her, then added, "And how well your Weapon works."

Fatespeaker frowned. "My Weapon works just fine, thank you very much." She huffed and turned away from her brother, her eyes focusing on the girl ahead of them in line.

The short Noctu girl kept glancing around nervously, and she twisted her ring as she leaned into her mother.

Fatespeaker frowned. Something about the girl seemed vaguely familiar, an unformed thought tugging at Fatespeaker's consciousness as she stared.

The girl turned, blinking, then flushed at the same time Fatespeaker averted her eyes. A second after the girl turned, Fatespeaker's head shot up with sudden recognition. "Moonwatcher?"

The girl jumped, blinked again, and turned. "Yeeessss?" she asked hesitantly.

"Is that your name?" Fatespeaker asked.

The girl didn't answer for what felt like a ridiculously long time. "Yes," she said eventually. "But call me Moon."

Fatespeaker grinned. "You're my cousin!"

Moon flinched. "What?"

"You're my cousin," Fatespeaker repeated as Moon's mother turned around. "Your last name's Clearmoon, right? I remember you. A little, anyway. I haven't seen you in years."

Moon's mother studied Fatespeaker closely. "You're my brother's kids," she said finally. "Fatespeaker and Deathbringer."

Fatespeaker clapped her hands together. "Yup! It's soooo nice to see you again, even if I don't remember you. You're Secretkeeper, though, right? My mom's sister-in-law?"

"Former sister-in-law," Secretkeeper corrected. "Morrowseer and I are divorced. And no offense, but your parents are dead."

Moon winced. "Mom," she said, her voice so quiet that Fatespeaker had to strain to hear her. "I don't think we should remind them of that."

"You shouldn't," Deathbringer agreed, coming up beside Fatespeaker. "We don't want to be reminded."

Secretkeeper sighed. "I'm sorry."

"It's fine," Fatespeaker said, then turned to Moon. "So! What grade, Winglet, and all that stuff are you in? You're younger than us, right?"

Again, Moon paused before answering. "Yes," she said softly. "I'm fourteen. Grade 9, Jade Winglet, Class A."

Fatespeaker whooped, earning an eyeroll from Deathbringer. "Yay! You're in our Winglet, then. Though we're in Grade 10. But we know most of the people in Jade 9, and they're all really nice. I think you have Blue and Cricket in your class, too, and that'll be good. You'll like them. Ugh, you also have Anemone, though. And Icicle. They're both terrible. But Blue and Cricket will make up for it, I think."

"Fatespeaker," Deathbringer interrupted. "We barely know her. How do you know what she likes?"

Fatespeaker shrugged. "She seems nice. And everyone likes Blue and Cricket. Aside from jerks like Icicle and Anemone, I mean."

Deathbringer sighed and turned to Moon. "Sorry, my sister's kind of crazy. And enthusiastic. And annoying. But also friendly. If you need someone to hang out with, she's the place to go."

Fatespeaker shoved him. "We're cousins, remember?" she asked Moon. "And family takes care of each other."

Moon smiled for the first time since the conversation began. "Thank you," she said, her voice just as quiet as before, but somehow, it didn't seem quite as shy and timid.

Fatespeaker smiled at Moon. It wasn't much. but it was progress.

"Hey!" Deathbringer's voice snapped. "What do you think you're doing?"

"Oh, I'm sorry," a smooth, charismatic voice replied. Fatespeaker turned to find a Noctu boy with dark, heavily gelled hair and a white-toothed smile that looked kind of . . . charming. "Did I knock that over?" He bent to pick up Deathbringer's water bottled and handed it to him.

Deathbringer glared as he took it. "Who are you?"

"Me?" the boy asked, seeming surprised by the question. "Why, I'm Darkstalker."