Chapter 19

AMARA

"Would you like me to come with you?" I ask Candace, as she scoots around me. "Eh, I'm fine." She scoffs, grabbing an overly-ripped apple. "That's off." She exclaims, throwing the apple back to it's place. "When was the last time we went food shopping?" She asks, rummaging through the fruit tray. "Way too long ago" I reply, grabbing my purse and putting it inside my handbag. "That's why I'm coming with you. Plus, I don't have all my Christmas gifts." "Ugh, fine, but move your ass, Macys closes at 8pm, and it's currently 6:30." She huffs, as she checks the time on her half-broken phone. I grab my bag, put on my uggs, and slip on my puffer jacket. I grab my keys from the key tray and follow her out the door. I turn the key in the lock and run down the stairs. I rush out the building as I hear the engine of her white Subaru turn on and open the passenger door. I sit down and turn the heating on. "By the way, you might want to fix that." I say, pointing at her phone. "It's 5:30, not 6:30 Candie." "Well shit." She laughs driving out the driveway.

About twenty minutes later, we're in the busy shopping centre. Candace is flirting with the H&M cashier whilst I'm trying to find my mom a Christmas present. Finding her a present has always been a nightmare. She was picky in presents as she was in life. My dad had once bought her an overly expensive, beautiful gem necklace, but she had taken it back because she had judged it too original. The presents I had given her had either been returned or sold. Some lucky ones might have survived in the attic but that was about it. A sequinned smock suddenly caught my eye, and I took it off from the hanger. It was white, with a faint touch of blue, and the collar was covered in small sequins. Perfect. I walked over to the till, where Candace was still traumatising the poor cashier, and put my item on the little table. I payed and grabbed Candace by the shoulder. "We will be heading out." I say, addressing myself to the cashier named Josh."I'm sure my friend here will call you, enjoy the rest of your peaceful day." I gutter, watching the guy's face relax, as he mouths me a thank you. "But." Candace whines, reluctantly walking out the store, dragging her feet. "I think you scared him enough for a lifetime." I chuckle, patting her on the back. "Yeah fine whatever. Anyways, are you done with your gifts?" She asks. I don't even have time to respond when my phone vibrates in my back pocket.

*ANNOYING STUDY DATE

annoying study date : heyy
annoying study date : wyd? wanna come over. boys r out *smiley face
me : ugh. Can't. I'm gift shopping with Candace. Just found smth for my mother
annoying study date : oh good. anything for me? *smirking face
me : I don't know. Have you been a good boy?
annoying study date : idk, why don't you  come over and find out?
me : I'll be there as soon as I'm done.
annoying study date : ok. Don't be too long tho. Oh and bring Oreo's. I'm hungry
me : then cook. Your a big boy. Move your lazy ass and make yourself smth to eat.
annoying study date : why don't I eat you?
me : I'm off the menu.
annoying study date : ugh fine. Making pasta as we speak.
me : see, I knew you could do it.
annoying study date : I hate you
me : one must not tell lies
annoying study date : how dare you quote Harry Potter against me. I'm offended
me : you're a baby
annoying study date: so I'm guessing still no for the Oreo's?

"Fuuck Ethan." I moan as my orgasm rips through me. My head is spinning and my legs are shaking. It's impressive how this man can make me feel. Mentally as physically. He lifts up his head and stares right into my eyes. "I think I deserve my Christmas present now." he smirks as I smack his cheek gently. "It's not even Christmas yet. And who even said I bought you a gift?" I tease. He seems clearly offended so I reassure him. "Of course I bought you a gift Crawford. What are fuck buddies for?" I laugh. "Oh we're fuck buddies now?" he shoots, tilting his head on the side. "Well yeah." I say, passing my hand through my tangled hair. An awkward silence passes through the room as we stare intensely into each others eyes. What were we? That was the million dollar question. I certainly wasn't his girlfriend and he wasn't my boyfriend either. I couldn't describe what was going on between us. I could only say that for the time being, I was comfortable. "Hey? Earth to Amara?" Ethan says, snapping  his fingers in front of my eyes, making my eyes focus back on him. "Where you thinking of me?" He smirks raising an eyebrow. "You wish." I snicker, rolling my eyes at him as he pulls his hair back. "What are you planning for Christmas by the way?" Ethan asks, playing with the pillow in front of him. "I'm going to my mom's and my stepdads. Traditional family dinner yay." "I'll get the typical, you're never going to be enough, or are you still single because you're so difficult annual moral." I snicker, trying to hold in my tears as best as I can. Family was a touchy subject. I didn't want Ethan to see that yet. "Oh shit. That sounds bad." "It does. Every year I get the newest version. Think of it as a personalised gift." I laugh hypocritically. "I'm sorry, this isn't funny. Once I brought my boyfriend-well ex now- but you get the idea, to one of our diners, and my mother couldn't stop blabbing about how much of a burden I had been during pregnancy and all, and it scared him away. At the end of diner, my stepdad told me  that I was a weirdo and he probably never loved me. You get the idea." I blurt out, now realising thy I had gone on and on about my family trauma. I lifted up my eyes and caught Ethan's stare. I couldn't decipher what was going on inside his head. His face was closed. "I'll go with you." he suddenly says, breaking the silence he had just created. "You'll what?" "I said I'll go with you. If those dinner are difficult for you, let me be there." He must be kidding. "You must be kidding. Didn't you hear me? They'll pounce on you like hyenas on dead meat. You won't last ten minutes. No sorry. Not even five." I blurt out. "I bet you I can last a lot more than 10 minutes." He says sternly. "You can't be serious." I scoff. "I am. I have never been more serious." he says, giving me a serene look as he takes my hands. "Christmas is supposed to be a happy holiday. I'm not going to let your so-called parents to ruin that for you. More, I'll be able to give you your present." He smiles. "You bought me a present?" I exclaim happily crossing my legs on top of each other. "Of course. You have been a good girl right?" He smirks, running his hand over my thigh, caressing it up and down. "Of course." I reply, moving near him. "I'm always so good." I whisper in his ear, overhearing his breath accelerate on my neck. He grabs me by the waist and places me on top of him. "Round two?" He murmurs . "You know I'm always up for round two." I giggle as I kiss him on the cheek.

You know what, forget about me being comfortable about my situation with Ethan. I was happy.