four

Hyewon was feeling extra murderous the next morning.

At the crack of dawn, she paced back in the fort, contemplating ways to kill the insolent prince. Alas, it was against the principles to betray your own charge.

If she saw Nishimura right now, she would probably attack him with no hesitation. If only Yeonjun was here, he would know how to calm her down.

Hyewon growled. Oh, how much she hated arrogant men.

As she stewed over her rage, a small, light knock was heard on the door. She forced herself to take a deep breath, "Come in."

The door opened. A petite, pale girl dressed in an apron appeared and bowed, "Good morning, Miss. My name is Ayeong and I am your handmaiden."

Hyewon studied her. She had small, fox-like eyes and a small slim nose with a face the shape of an oval. Silky, brown locks cascaded from her head. Her skin was flawless and seemed to be dusted with white powder, her lips a perfect shade of blood red. Hyewon resisted the urge to unsheath her knife. This girl was a perfect example of a proper daughter her mother should've had.

She snapped back to reality, blinking, "Wait? Handmaiden? I have a handmaiden?"

Ayeong nods, "If you prefer, I am your assistant, although I mainly work in the kitchens. The head mistress assigned me to you. My duty is to help pick out clothes for you, lead you around, and as of right now, help you bathe-"

Hyewon stepped back in surprise. "Bathe? I can do that myself. There's no reason to help me bathe."

The handmaiden smiles, "I understand your reluctance, but I assure you, it's nothing. It's a traditional custom here and we're both female-"

She shook her head furiously, "Woah, there. Isn't that an invasion of privacy?" she yelps. "Royals are strange."

Ayeong laughed. It was a melodious laugh, unlike her high pitched chortling that sounded like a pig, "Trust me, after years of serving them, many come to that conclusion, Miss. But be careful not to say that within earshot of nobility."

The corners of her mouth twitched. "They can try me," Hyewon said bravely, before extending a hand to Ayeong, "I'm Hyewon. And drop the formalities, please. We're about the same age."

She hesitated before relenting, "I suppose I can." Ayeong agreed. "You should clean up before breakfast with Prince Riki. Or I can help you," she gives Hyewon a sly smile.

The ravenette groaned. Just hearing his name made her want to bang her head against the table. "Please don't mention him. He's insufferable and the most spoiled, conceited, arrogant, haughty-"

Hyewon would've continued but she stopped at her new friend's puzzled expression. "Really?" Ayeong asked, tilting his head. "I've seen him around often and he's mainly reserved and doesn't speak at all."

"That's because he didn't show you his true monstrous personality." Hyewon exaggerated. "Believe me, he's a pain in the arse."

"Maybe you didn't see him in the right light."

Hyewon snorted. God, another optimistic Yeonjun looking at the best of things. "I highly doubt that there's inner good in him waiting to burst out." she says sarcastically.

"Have a little faith in humanity, Mi- Hyewon."

"Already lost it a long time ago." she mumbled. She sighs, "I swear, if I see him today, I'm going to lose it."

Wait. An idea forms in her mind. Maybe she didn't need to see him today. "Ayeong, while I get cleaned up, can you send a message to Choi Yeonjun? He should be in Dormitory 11. Tell him that he is going to the banquet hall."