twelve

For a reason Hyewon did not know, the palace was buzzing with anticipation.

"Did you hear? Yoon Lia is coming back to the palace?"

"Miss Lia? The lovely daughter of Minister Yoon?'

"I heard that she's incredibly pretty! People say that she has the looks of the goddess Izanami herself! And kind too!"

"She's so lucky to be paired by the handsome Crown Prince!"

The last comment was enough to capture Hyewon's interest, making her stop in her tracks.

"So he has a fiancée, eh?" she muttered to herself. "Charming."

She must be the special guest at the banquet tonight, she thought to herself grumpily, and of course I had to be dragged along.

There wasn't much reason for her to be there at the banquet. After all, there were going to be plenty of guards, it wasn't like she needed to chaperone.

"Why'd you stop moving?" The prince peers down at her in confusion. He must've noticed Hyewon lagging behind. "You're my escort. We can't dally and keep them waiting."

Tonight, he was clad in a navy, brocade robe that flowed right above his ankle. No headdress was upon his head, but power was exerted from his demeanor. She had to admit, he looked handsome in the attire, but there was no way that she was going to tell him that.

Hyewon snaps back to focus. "Sorry, Your Majesty," she apologizes.

Prince Riki scowls. "Since when were you so formal with me? If I recall correctly, you would attack me mercilessly with your insults and retorts. What's up with you?"

She rolls her eyes. She definitely takes back her words. "Why would you care? And do me a favor and shut up," she hisses. "People are watching."

"They always are, get used to it," he replies dismissively before spinning on his heel. "Now let's get going."

Hurray. He was back into his too-important-to-talk-with-the-likes-of-you mode.

When they both entered the banquet hall, they parted ways in silence, Hyewon to her guarding station and Riki to the dining table. As her eyes caught sight of a familiar figure, she predicted that it would be a long night but at least she wouldn't be alone.

"Hey, Hyewon," Yeonjun greets her with a broad grin. "Escorting the prince, hm? I see that you're back on talking terms with Prince Riki."

She snorts. "As if I had a choice as his personal guard." she replied dryly, leaning against the wall. "What are you doing here?"

"I volunteered. Nothing else to do anyway. The only thing there is to do is training. Our cohort hasn't been called to battle. Everything's quiet lately." he peers at her. "I thought you said that you got intel from somebody that the West was going to launch a secret attack. How's everything lately, anyways?"

That's right... Ryuto did say they were going to attack, she thought, Strange.

A shrug. Maybe he was wrong. "Everything's great," she answers sarcastically.

"Nice to hear," he winks. "What's up with you and the prince?"

"There isn't anything 'up' with the two of us," she replied monotonously.

He quirks up an eyebrow. "Well, at least you two are past the cutthroat and killing each other phase," Yeonjun deadpans, wiggling his eyebrows mischievously.

Sigh. "Since when was I trying to kill the prince?"

"Don't even deny it, Hye-'' Yeonjun's eyes widened. He drops to a deep bow. "Your Highness."