five

Hyewon found herself enjoying her time in the kitchen more than she expected.

She rolled the dough on the table, watching Ayeong as an example.

"Now you sprinkle a bit of flour," Ayeong demonstrates, taking a pinch of flour before powdering the dough, "This will make the dough less sticky and more malleable."

She nods her head. Hyewon never really got the chance to cook or bake anything. Her days were busy with training and studying, she didn't have time for anything else.

Hyewon hated to admit it, but maybe Yeonjun was right. Maybe she was making new friends.

Some people gave her nervous looks at her robes and her sword at her waist (not that she was going to use it, but it's better to stay safe than sorry), but other than that, they gave her a warm welcome. Seriously, it wasn't like she was going to chop their heads off, that privilege was strictly reserved for the prince. And her enemies on the battlefield, of course.

A woman, which Hyewon recognized as the head of the kitchen, Mrs. An, bursted into the kitchen, looking frantic. "Everyone!" she barks. "Places, the prince is here!"

Everyone scrambled into their designated areas, all chatter lost. The kitchen became silent, only the simmering of soup was heard.

Scowling, Hyewon rolled her eyes. The authority that was exerted just by his name disgusted her. Was everyone scared of him or something? Really, someone should put Nishimura in his place.

And how the hell did he find where she was? Did he put a tracker charm on her?

She was really pissed off now. All she wanted was a day of peace.

Hyewon gave a hard punch to the dough. Ah, it felt nice to unleash her irritation and fury, although she felt a tad bad for the innocent dough that did nothing to deserve her rage.

Nishimura entered the kitchen. He looked at his surroundings in distaste. Behind him was Yeonjun, who had immediately seen her, smiling sheepishly and giving her a small wave.

She poked the inside of her cheek with her tongue in annoyance at the sight of Prince Riki. Had this bratty prince never seen a kitchen? Or was he too 'important' to behold the sight of a humble roof and labor? He was disrupting the work that was going on and clearly, the workers seemed uncomfortable and anxious.

His eyes flash when they land on her. He claps his hands. "Everyone, you are excused," he orders, keeping his eyes on Hyewon. "I need to have a private conversation with Miss Cho, who seems incapable of following orders."

She bit back a retort. He was definitely trying to make a spectacle out of her. But no one said anything. Ayeong squeezed her hand reassuringly before backing out of the kitchen with the other helpers.

Now alone with only two people, Hyewon spoke. "Jun," she says evenly, "How was accompanying Prince Riki for a while?"

He scratches his nape. "It was fine," he replies hesitantly. His eyes read a different story. Don't make the prince angrier, they read.

The prince smiles icily. "Look what we have here. Decided to abandon your job on your first day, hm?"

His tone was filled with hostility. "I won't hesitate to report to your general about your doings. But if you come along now, you won't face any punishment," he says smoothly.

She growls. "You aren't the boss of me, Nishimura, as important as you are to the kingdom," she snaps, "I'm not going anywhere with you."

He smirks. "Who said I was asking?"