nineteen

Hyewon had a lot to think about.

The full moon shone in the night sky like a beacon, but despite it, a lantern that she had brought with her, along with her sword, hung on her waist. It glowed brightly, bouncing up and down as she walked. She inhaled the fresh air of the woods. It was nice to be back out here, in the wildness where nothing could disturb her.

Scouting the borders late at night had become a regular thing the past few days after experiencing those nightmarish visions. Whenever she couldn't fall asleep, she came out here to make herself useful. Not that she had to. There were other guards stationed at the borders who were assigned with the job of regulating the land. But she couldn't just stare aimlessly at the ceiling of her room when she could be doing something. Who knows, it was possible that the scouts could miss something.

Twigs crunched beneath her feet. Owls hooted ominously up in the trees. Hyewon paused, scanning the area. Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

Perhaps there was nothing to be worried about after all. Still, she cautiously kept one hand on her sword as she searched the area.

Her mind drifted back into the conversation she and her mother had earlier. Did she truly like Riki? She barely knew him well and they just had agreed to be on neutral terms with each other merely a few hours ago. Weren't people who liked each other more... intimate? Ha, she thought to herself. That wasn't the exact term she would describe as the entire history of their relationship.

She couldn't find any unique, special characteristics that could have drawn him to her. Was it his striking looks? No, she didn't think so. His infuriating stubbornness? Nah.

How could have Hyewon fallen 'in love' supposedly, claimed by her mother, anyway when she wasn't really looking for it? She didn't even know what her 'ideal type' was. Love was a foreign feeling for her and she didn't quite know how the rules of attraction worked.

But her mother knew her well, no matter how much time they had spent apart in the past years. She had been there, watching Hyewon grow up to her teens. Hyewon was inclined to believe that there was at least a hint of truth in what she was saying.

Snorting, she shook her head at herself. How silly she was, thinking about love like some mooney-eyed girl.

Besides, she reminded herself, I'm not his guard to fall starstruck with him like those shallow palace maids. I have my duty. And assuming if I ever did get into a relationship with him, it would never work out in the end. Royals don't mix with commoners. Better to save myself from more pain now.

It was better to not get love involved with duty, wasn't it?

Snap! Her ears perked up as Hyewon heard a branch snapping. She whirled around. The noise was barely audible, but alarm bells rang in her ears. Was someone following her?

Lifting her lantern, she squinted into the darkness. Just trees and bushes. Nothing unusual. But she knew someone was out there. She took a deep breath and yelled into the woods, "Come out you cowardly son of a serf! I know you're there!"

Her voice echoed back to her. No answer. Perhaps the person that had been following her was too taken aback from her aggressive demeanor to reply. And maybe, it wasn't the best idea to yell into the great unknown on palace grounds like a madman where there were scouts roaming about.

After a few more minutes of idle waiting and staring expectantly into the area she had pinpointed as where her stalker was, she wondered if she was being too paranoid. Maybe it was just an animal and she was going crazy.

But just then, she saw a flash of movement behind one of the nearby trees. Wow, this guy is such an amateur at stalking people. Hyewon folded her arms crossly and raised an eyebrow, unimpressed by the level of stealth. "Do you think I'm stupid? I saw you move, you idiot. Come out before I throw this lantern at your head." she calls out.