Chapter 1

It started out as a normal day. I woke up on time, dressed in my typical sweatpants and t-shirt, and prepared to ride my bike to college as usual.

I went into my parent's room to tell them good morning before I left. They're both over 50 and retired, I love them more than anything in this world. I have an older brother and sister as well, but they mated into different packs.

¨Gooood morning kids! Rise and shine!¨ I greeted them, flicking on their light switch. They both opened their eyes groggily and then peered up at me with pissed-off expressions. ¨Rita, we love you and all, but we also like our sleep,¨ my mother said in between yawns. ¨Have a good day! Be safe, yada yada yada turn off the lights before you leave...¨ my dad grumbled. I rolled my eyes and did as he said.

¨See you guys later!¨

Just before I got out the front door my mom practically yodeled from their room: ¨Remember what tonight is!¨

And that, my dear friends, is where this story truly begins. Today is one of my dreaded monthly pack meetings. Where all members of the Dawn Light pack have to meet up and discuss ¨werewolf business¨ (crap about territories, relationships with other packs, upcoming events, issues). It's not that I dislike being a werewolf, I despise it to be more exact. But not for the reason that most people think.

All of my life I've been isolated from members of my own pack because I cannot shift. I had friends when I was younger but as soon as I turned 16, they all shifted and went through dramatic changes of their senses and looks. They were suddenly taller, slimmer, prettier, had heightened smell, eyesight, and hearing. And I stayed the same. I stayed 5'1¨ with no wolf, and they started to kind of avoid me. I'm 20 now, and I have been to countless experts in these past few years. The latest doctor claims that my wolf is inside of me, and something just needs to happen to bring it out.

I ride my bike to school every day. I attend the local university, which is 80% my pack members, 20% humans. When I pull up to the parking lot, I see that my best friend Liz and her boyfriend are already waiting, perched right next to the bike rack.

¨RITAAA!¨she squeals when she sees me. Josh rolls his eyes when Liz reaches to hug me, ¨You just saw her yesterday.¨ Liz is human and Josh is a werewolf. They're mates.

¨One day without me is like a year without rain Josh, you know that,¨ I replied, laughing. ¨Guess what guess what guess what? Josh is taking me to your pack party tonight,¨ Liz says, jumping with excitement.

I furrowed my brows. ¨Pack party?¨

Josh narrows his eyes at me. ¨The one that's been on the calendar for months now. The meeting tonight is not just a regular meeting. Alpha Theo Lyons, the richest, scariest and most respected Alpha of the entire United States and his family are coming into to town to be there!¨

Oh.

¨Calm your tits Josh, I totally knew that,¨ I reply, rolling my eyes.

Liz laid her hand on my shoulder. ¨I'm glad I mentioned it then. The dress code is formal. I'm coming over beforehand to do your makeup, kay?¨

Before I could even respond, she grabbed Josh's hand and headed in the opposite direction. ¨See you later!¨

I groaned and looked down at my watch. 10:55. Time for Philosophy class.