Chapter 6

After that stunt I pulled, Talen was, needless to say, not very happy. I was shackled to his lap for the rest of the ride, and if I tried to move, he pinched my ass. #Relationshipgoals, right?

   Eventually the driver rolled down the separating screen momentarily. " We should be arriving back in 10 minutes, Alpha." "Good," Talen replied, yawning a little and stretching his neck.

"When we get there we're going straight to the pack house to meet my mom. She's probably prepared a lunch for us. After that I'm taking you to my house," he said and squeezed my waist. "Okay?" He asked but I knew my response did not really matter. My stomach churned and I tapped my foot nervously.

"Why's your heart beating so fast?" He asked, turning me to straddle him. "Because I'm nervous, dumba-" he silenced me with a look and pressed his forehead against mine. He then proceeded to stare right into my eyes for an uncomfortable number of seconds.

"I mean, do you think your mom will like me?" I asked in my sweetest voice. He pinched my cheek and grinned. "Better."

"I think she'll be shocked and think you're a little rough around the edges," he said. How am I supposed to take a response like that?  "That's fine," I said quickly, avoiding his eyes.

He grabbed my chin so I could only look at him. "But Rita, she has to accept you. Ambersky has high respect for destined mates."

I nodded. "Which reminds me-- the pack can't know that you're a latent wolf, so I need you to cling to me as if your life depends on it, Rita," he spoke seriously.

I groaned. "Why can't we just tell them?" After years of living like this, I'm not really embarassed anymore.

"Because...no," he replied with finality. I rolled my eyes.

"Also, don't do that anymore," he said, poking my nose.

I sighed. This is not going to work out well.

"They're going to know something is wrong," I muttered.

I wiggled out of his lap so I could look out of the window, just in time to see a large gold sign indicating that we had entered Ambersky territory. My Goddess. I knew they were rich, but this is ridiculous. There was a large amount of forest before we entered town. Shops lined the street and then, mansions. It was the type of area that I, on a normal day, with my brown skin, wild hair, and "casual chic" clothing would look super out of place in. As we rode through, pack members stopped to look, probably sensing my unfamiliar scent. The members that we passed were very fit and very put together. I mean super model- esque. I could swear I just saw Gigi Hadid walking hand in hand with Ian Somerhalder. This place is unreal.

I looked over at Talen. His eyes were trained to his phone, and I began to wonder. He seems okay, but there is still so much I don't know about him. I've never been one to trust easily. And even though the attraction between our wolves binds us together, I've seen many a mated pair fall apart. Will I ever be confident in a relationship with this hazel-eyed, rich as hell stranger that has the world at his fingertips? That has every girl at his fingertips? His father obviously values the importance of fated mates, but does he?

"Whatever you're thinking, stop thinking it. I can feel your anxiety," he said, not looking up from his phone but rubbing circles on my back. I ignored him, looking out the window again to see that we were pulling into the gates of a Victorian mansion. Talen inhaled quickly, nudging me off of his lap.

I stared out of the window in horror. In front of the front of the house stood a group of at least ten very well dressed and smiling people that I could only guess was his family. One slightly aged blonde woman stood out from the rest, and I could tell that she was the Luna, Talen's mother. She was dressed impeccably-- pale pink dress, pearl earrings, blond hair pulled back into a bun. I wheezed, and stared up at Talen, terrified. He grabbed my hand, trying to drag me out of the car. The chauffeur stood holding the door open so I knew I couldn't make that much of a scene.