Chapter 4

I dressed in a polka dotted knee-length dress that fit to my waist and then flared. I then pulled my hair back into a low ponytail. I applied minimal makeup, defining my eyebrows and putting on lip gloss. As for packing, my usual wardrobe is composed of t-shirts and shorts so it wasn't anything difficult to pack. I only own a few dresses. I literally gathered my pile of clothes and threw them in the huge suitcase that Talen had laid out for me. What took the most time to pack was my photos and books.

I've always wanted to be a doctor. After this year I was supposed to be applying for med school. I say was because my future is a little unclear now. I'm going to fight the roles laid out for me as best as I can in my new pack, but if I'm allowed to go back to school it will be a miracle. Talen is the future alpha of the most prestigious pack in the USA, the Ambersky Elites. I am the future Luna, and Lunas are not doctors or lawyers. They are homemakers and peacekeepers among pack members. They are strong leaders but they also take care of the children, they cook big meals, and keep the pack house organized. All of these roles are foreign to me. I DON'T cook OR clean. That may sound spoiled and ridiculous, but I don't mean it in that way. I clean up after myself and keep my things neat, but I don't do scrubbing tubs or sweeping floors.

I sigh as I pack my last picture frame. It's a photo of me and Liz two years ago, at our school prom. The thought hits me like a ton of bricks. What will I do about friends? I don't make them easily because I'm not a very talkative person.

I hear laughing coming from downstairs. My mother's loud donkey laugh is the one that annoys me the most. How can she be laughing at a time like this? I also hear the distinct baritone laugh of Alpha Delphine. And wherever he is, his daugher inevitably is also. There is no doubt that she is flirting her butt off with Talen right now. I open my door to exit and am met with the back of a man dressed in all black.

¨Luna! You're finally ready. I hope your stubborn streak is over with too,¨the guy said, his greenish-brown eyes swimming with humor. I folded my arms and sized him up from head to toe. ¨And who are you?¨ I questioned. He looked rather young.

He laughed. ¨I am your mate's younger brother, Zack. It's nice to meet you.¨ I shook his hand.

Another loud series of laughs broke out from downstairs. I groaned. ¨I don't really want to go down there,¨ I admitted. He frowned. ¨Don't let my father scare you. Even if he doesn't like you at first, he will have to grow to love you.¨

I nodded and was about to make my way downstairs, but turned back for a moment. ¨How old are you?¨

¨I'm 20,¨ he replied. ¨Same!¨ I exclaimed, reaching to high five him. But then I wonder how old is Talen?

¨Talen is 28,¨ Zack said, as if reading my mind. I gaped at him. 28 is settling down age, 2 years away from 30, ready for children age.

Zack watched my freak out session. ¨I wish I could ease your fears, but while he may act like a teenager, he is ready for all of those scary thoughts that are probably running through your head.¨

I gave a shaky smile and turned to make my descent down the stairs. ¨Thanks, I guess.¨

I walked quickly so that I would not make a big entrance. Talen was the only one who looked up when I came into the dining room. ¨My lovely mate,¨ he said, and turned to share  a smirk with Selena, who sat giggling next to him. She was pretty overdressed for breakfast. Her long blonde hair was out and she wore a maxi sundress with a rather gaping neckline. I observed this with a frown. My mom and dad sat across from them, and Alpha Lyons and Alpha Delphine sat in the corner of the room discussing something in low voices.

I sighed and walked to hug my parents. ¨Hey sweetie, how are you feeling?¨My mom asked, smiling up at me. ¨Good, other than you know...¨ I gestured around me. My dad kissed my forehead  but didn't greet me because he was engrossed in whatever Talen was saying. Talen pulled out the chair next to him for me to sit. I sat down and he slid the chair so close to him that were almost knee to knee. I looked up at him, confused. ¨What?¨ he said, his eyes sparkling mischieviously. He placed his hand on my thigh.