Chapter 8

" I know that your mom must have been joking if she thinks we're mating next week."

Talen groaned, the noise slightly muffled because his face was nuzzled into the side of my neck. I pushed him away and crossed my arms over my chest.

"You know very fucking well that she wasn't joking, Rita," he said, grabbing my chin so I looked straight into his eyes.

"Well that's ridiculous!" I began indignantly. Talen's eyes scanned my face. "Is it?" he seemed to bait me.

"Yeah it is!" I was getting worked up just thinking about it. "I mean how can she expect us to do something so important so quickly? And we barely even know each other! I need some time to get to know you better," I explained, though I could tell my argument would probably get nowhere with him.

His eyes were trained on my face and he was running his hands up and down my back, sending shivers through my spine. I was growing distracted and that pleased him. "Do you?"he drawled.

"YES I do! I mean, Sure, we're mates, but what if you have some type of fatal flaw? I don't even know if I like you yet-" he cut me off by capturing my lips in a hard kiss.

I attempted to pull away but he pulled me closer. Mind you, he is my first kiss, and therefore he's doing most of the work here. He doesn't seem to mind though.

I wrenched myself away, panting. He beamed at me and I looked down in embarrassment. My lips tingled.

"Now, isn't making out much more fun than contradicting me?" he spoke condescendingly. That comment immediately brought me back to reality. "That didn't solve anything," I replied, rolling my eyes in distaste.

I looked out the window impatiently. "How far away is your house?"

"Just a few minutes more, Rita. So eager to be completely alone with me?" He taunted drily. 

 I moved to get out of his lap but he held me there. " I like you here. And you like to be here," he murmured, a smug smile on his face.

I stayed quiet because he was not wrong. It is beyond weird that in a few days I have gone from very minimal physical contact with the male species to this. Talen, no matter how infuriating he may be, makes me feel things that I've never felt before. For the first time I'm thankful for my wolf. Without her existence none of this would be possible. I trailed my fingertips down his forearm absentmindedly.

He was still staring at me as if I was the most interesting thing in the world. I reached to turn his face away from me but he grabbed my hand.

The car stopped and I jumped up to look out the window. Holy. I gazed up at the signified mansion, Talen's "humble abode." When I looked back at Talen he was already getting out of the car. I raced to keep pace with him as he stalked up to the door.

"You really gotta live in a CASTLE?" I questioned, tugging on his arm. He just glanced down at me, choosing not to respond. I'm genuinely perplexed by the enormity of his house. He lives alone. There was even a little pool in the front. 

When we were a few feet away from the door, it opened in our faces. An aged gentleman suited as a butler smiled at us in the doorway. "Glad to have you home Alpha," he said, bowing his head in respect. Talen only nodded and I watched the exchange in awe.

 "Luna," the man also bowed before me. I stuck out my hand and introduced myself. "I'm Rita." He looked at Talen for permission to shake my hand. I scoffed at Talen's grunt of approval but maintained my smile as his warm hand encased mine. "I'm Ed, it's lovely to meet you."