Chapter 4: Going West

Lancer and Lanosis continued following Kai for what seemed like hours. They traversed through tree after tree, yet Royal Legion West's temple still wasn't anywhere in sight. It didn't help that this forest looked much creepier at night, especially from Lancer's perspective.  

He looked from side to side in nervousness.

"What did you say this place was called again?"

"Aquila Forest. It's a very old forest sacred to Royal Legion West." Kai replied. "Hard to believe, I know, but it's actually far older than I am."

Lanosis quirked a brow. "Any reason why it's called that?"

"Well, Aquilae are special types of eagles native to Coligad. Some have grown so large and magically enhanced that many people speculate they were descended from Spell Spirits. We call these animals, Spirit Spawn, for that reason."

The two brothers looked surprised. Before now, they didn't think a spellcasting animal was even possible. Eun did exist within all living beings, of course, but casting it was another story. Spirit Spawns, as a whole, were even more difficult to comprehend.

"Great. First you tell us that Spell Spirits are some god-like beings and now, they're shacking it up with some random animals." Lanosis scoffed.

Lancer shuttered just thinking about it. "I'm gonna pretend I didn't hear that..."

Kai grinned at their reactions in amusement.

"Now, now, boys. It's nothing to be disgusted by. Most Spirit Spawn are descended from them nowadays. An animal and Spell Spirit... erm... union hasn't happened for thousands of years, give or take." He said. "Some creatures are just fortunate enough to have magical blood coursing through their veins. The same goes for us humans."

The younger Leoto sibling nodded his head.

"I guess that makes sense. Ridmos was a dragon and lion hybrid of some kind, so perhaps Spell Spirits are closer to animals biologically."

"Not quite, but an accurate presumption, nonetheless. Most spirits look like animals, because they were originally created by them. It was only later on when they decided to take physical form and mate with those same animals."

Lanosis looked down at the floor in puzzlement. There were still so many questions he had yet to ask, but one suddenly became his main concern.

"I might regret asking such a bizarre question, but did they do the same thing with... people too? Is that possible?"

Kai's expression grew more somber. He ever-so-slightly slowed the pace of his walk and sighed.

"Yes, but that was before Spell Spirits isolated themselves from the physical world and began selecting people as their hosts. Ever since then, it's become a fairly taboo subject in the spellcasting community."

"Oh. Sorry for bringing it up then." Lanosis awkwardly replied. He shared a quick glance with his little brother before turning around just as fast.

Suddenly, the old man went back to acting like his normal, mischievous self. Any trace of sadness in his voice or general demeanor was gone. It was strange, yet not enough to be all that concerned about.

"No need to apologize. A boy your age is bound to be curious about things he doesn't know much about. What kind of master would I be if I couldn't help satiate that curiosity?"

Lanosis crossed his arms. He peered over at the various trees and bushes standing before them.

"Maybe one that doesn't have any real sense of direction?" He snapped. "We've been walking in a straight line for ages, Kai! I thought we'd almost be there by now!"