Chapter Ten

Shoes scuffed against the c-wing floors; their squeaks echoed off the walls. While people indulged in conversation with their friends on the way to class, I waited in the lounge area for mine to start. My wandering eyes flickered up from my phone's screen to find someone I didn't think I was searching for. I could pick him out from any crowd. He stood in his black jean jacket with a similar-colored hoodie and joggers. I didn't need to see underneath the black cap on his head to confirm it was him–the way he carried himself made it clear.

 "Bo," a familiar voice called out to me.

 My head turned toward the sound to see Chrissy's brother Luke. "Hi."

 I couldn't show interest in the words my childhood friend tried to speak. My attention wouldn't allow me to focus on anything else. I continued watching the boxer until his eyes began searching the hallways. My head cocked to the side when he glanced in my direction, but I wasn't sure if he noticed me amongst the crowd. So, I brought my hand up to give him a small wave to only watch his right eye drop into a wink.

 "What is going on between you two?"

 I turned back to Luke, who had his sights set on Kinnick. "Nothing."

 "Yeah, okay," he scoffed. "You clearly hadn't been listening to anything I said."

 I hadn't. When I looked in the direction of the boxer, he was gone. A sigh left my lips as my phone started buzzing in my hand. Luke fell silent beside me as he walked with me to class. Before we made it inside, someone tugged on my sweater. The fear engulfing my body made it difficult to turn around, but I met the gaze of the blue-eyed boy once I did.

 "Good morning," his deep voice calmed me. "I brought you something."

 I watched with curiosity as he pulled a brown paper sack from behind his back. He pushed it toward me until I opened it to find what was inside. The moment I peeled the top open, I saw a set of blueberry muffins sitting at the bottom. My heart flipped in my chest as my teeth sunk into my lip.

 "What is this for?"

 "I wasn't sure if you ate this morning."

 A smile tugged at my lips. "Did you make them?"

 His face contorted as his head moved back and forth. "Fuck no. I I don't know how to bake."

 My giggle only made him grin. "It's the thought that counts."

 "I am sorry."

 I lifted my eyes to his face. "For what?"

 "I bought them from Scooters."

 My smile only grew more. "That is my favorite place for muffins and smoothies."

 I watched the tension in his body relax as it settled the muscles in his shoulders. A frown settled on my face because it hadn't been my intentions to upset him to begin with. Maybe people didn't appreciate what he did for them. Perhaps that is why he never tried. I didn't care if the muffins were store-bought or homemade. My dad was clueless about what I ate for breakfast.

 "Thank you."

 When his teeth sunk into his bottom lip, I watched it snap back into place. "Of course. I'll see you in class, yeah?"

 A hum left my lips in confirmation as he disappeared behind our classroom door. "Bye."

 "He only wants one thing from you," Luke snapped, and it made me remember, he had been here this whole time. "And you can't see it."

 "You didn't need to stick around if you had a problem with it."

 "Well, someone has to be around to make sure you don't make any poor decisions," he turned to me. "We both know you have made a few."

 A heavy breath pushed past my lips as I stared at him through glossy eyes. When his lips parted to say something, I waved him off. I didn't need to hear anymore. He said everything I needed to know. So, I left him standing there.

 When I yanked the classroom door open, everyone turned to me. I wanted to apologize for my harshness, but it just happened, so I didn't care to answer to anyone. My gaze dropped to the ground as I moved toward the boxer, staring at me with a look of confusion.

 "Are you okay?"

 I ignored his curious eyes as I slid into my seat. "Yeah."

 "Was it me?"

 "Why would you think that?"

 "Everything seemed fine when we talked."

 "Bo," Luke sounded behind me. "I am sorry – "

 "Go away."

 "I said I am sorry," his voice pleaded.

 "You heard her," Kinnick's voice cut through the tension. "Walk away."

 "This has nothing to do with you."

 The boxer shifted in his seat. "And she wants nothing to do with you, so make the right decision and sit down."

 Luke's fists curled at his thighs, but all of us knew he would never step to anyone he wouldn't have a chance at winning against. Kinnick's eyes followed the boy to his seat before his attention turned to me. The expression written on my face had been enough to realize what happened in that hallway moments ago was enough to drain any happiness I felt previously.

 I tried to think about anything other than what Luke said, but I could free my mind from the restraints. My bouncing leg wanted to help me ignore the thoughts, but it was impossible to. Kinnick tried gaining my attention again. Chrissy even attempted to ask what was wrong when she joined my side at the desk, but the answer was simple—when was anything ever right?

 The notebook sliding in my direction surprised me. My eyes looked over at the brief note on the bottom. 'Do you want me to beat him up now?' When I lifted my gaze, I found Kinnick staring at me with a smile on his face.

 My head moved back and forth. "It's okay."

 "I won't allow him to disrespect you in front of me."

 "I know."

 When the professor stepped into the lecture hall, my mind drifted back to the war raging inside my head. I wanted to escape what Luke said to me, but my thoughts always brought me back to his words. My leg started bouncing again. The pen on my desk started rocking back and forth. As my fingers dove through my hair, I tugged at the roots to pull the thoughts from my head, but I knew it would never happen.

 My palms flattened against my desk as I readied myself to move away from the desk, but before I could slide out of my seat, a warm pressure fell against my knee. A ragged breath left my mouth as I glanced down at the tattooed hand stopping my leg from shaking any longer.

 Before I could say a word to the boxer beside me mouthed a few words that stole my breath. 'I told you—I got you.'