Chapter Fifteen

My laughter followed me into the hallway as Kinnick shoved me through the door of our class. Apologies left my lips as I turned to the classmates I fell into. The moment my staggering body found redemption, I shot back toward Kinnick and let my palm cross his arm. I adored the smile growing on his lips as he looks down at me.

 "You're a jerk! It isn't my fault you got less than one hundred percent on your test! I told you we should have been studying."

 I watched as he rolled his eyes. "And it isn't my fault that you're distracting."

 "I'm distracting?"

 He motioned toward me as if it would explain what he meant. I only stared at him with confusion as he pulled out his phone. It wasn't until I heard the click of his camera that I understood what he was doing.

 "Kinnick Carson," I gasped. "Stop taking photos of me."

 "No," he let out a bellow of laughter. "If I don't take photos, I'll suffer."

 "Suffer from what? I know how much you love not being around me!"

 "No, it's a fucking tragedy when you're not around you."

 "Oh, please, it is practically your dream come true."

 "Seeing you? Damn right it is." He gripped my arms to pull me against his chest. "Now I never have to worry about missing your face. I have enough photos to last me a few minutes."

 "A few minutes?" I choked.

 "A couple hundred photos will never be enough for me to stop missing you," he bopped my nose. "Are you coming tonight?"

 "No," I teased as I pushed away from him.

 "Seriously?"

 "You can't always get what you want, Kinnick."

 His eyebrows furrowed as he stared down at me; I knew he was thinking of something, but for the first time, he couldn't say it aloud. "I know."

 "I'll come to your fight under one condition." I bumped his hip with mine to pull him from the thoughts that hold him hostage. "If you get me front row seats and promise me muffins on Monday morning."  

 "Consider your wish granted," his lips twisted into a smile.

 "I was expecting you to say that I can't get everything I want," I joked.

 "But that is my job." His hand in mine led me toward his truck. "To make sure you get everything you want."

 "What makes that your job?"

 "I am your best friend, aren't I?"

 I felt the muscles in my cheeks cramp as I smiled up at him. "Heck yeah you are."

 "You know what that means, right?"

 "What?"

 "Since I scored less than expected of me, you are my tutor."

 "Tell John to make you my full-time instructor at the gym."

 A chuckle emitted from his lips, sending shivers down my spine as it gracefully grazed my skin. "You drive a hard bargain, Miss Bennett."

 "Do you accept the plea bargain as I have presented it to you?"

 His chuckles only grew into deep laughter. "Plea bargain, huh?"

 "Mm," I hummed.

 "And what happens if I don't?"

 "Then you fail," I shrugged. "I don't lose out on much because John will just train me. Chances are, I will have a better chance at learning how to fight."

 "Oh, really? I'll make John kick you out of the gym."

 "You wouldn't do that."

 "Don't test me on it."

 I bit into my lower lip before hitting him with a joke. "I would, but I'm afraid you would get seventy-five percent."

  A sigh left his lips. "I'm rethinking this best friend thing."

 "You're full of it." I turned back to him as he opened the passenger door. "Are you going to help me up or not?"

 Something told me the way his lips tugged into a smile would never stop making my heart flutter. I adored every inch of his face. From the scar underneath his eye to the dark freckles scattered through his stubble, I didn't want to stop searching for new reasons to stare at him. Just like every time his eyes fell on me, a shiver erupted through my body the second his fingers curled around my waist. I placed my hands over his wrist to steady myself as he hoisted me into his truck.

 He stepped between my legs as he rested me on his passenger seat. "Better?"

 I could only nod in response while his eyes searched for the answers my words could never give him. The slight tap of his hand against my thigh sent jolts of electricity through my body. I watched him gently shut the door before walking around to his side. My toes curled in my shoes as the smell of his disrupted my senses.

 He flipped the key in the ignition. As the engine roared to life and the music came through the speakers, I zipped up my jacket to stop the draft of air from hitting my chest. My head rolled to the side to see Kinnick staring at me with his foot on the brake. He refused to move from the spot we were in, and I couldn't understand why.

 "Put on your damn seatbelt," he snapped.

 "Is that what you have been waiting for?"

 "Yes," he nodded, the muscles in his shoulders tensing as he pointed at me. "So, put it on."

 I reached for the band behind me, pulling it across my chest as I stared at Kinnick. The way he stared at me made me question what was going on inside his head. I wanted to ask, but he never held back the truth, and I wasn't sure I wanted to hear what he had to say. So, I kept my mouth shut.

 When he pulled away from the parking lot, I wondered what made the fear of getting into a vehicle disappear. Maybe I wanted something to happen, so I could see my mom again. I am not scared of driving because I fear death. I avoided driving because I feared the death of the driver. Why would I be afraid? I wouldn't deny the opportunity to be with my mom. I would choose the other side without hesitation.

 "I am sorry for getting upset."

 I turned to look at the boxer gripping his steering wheel and a sigh left my lips. "I am sorry for making you upset."

 "That's not how apologies work. I say I am sorry, and you are supposed to accept it."

 "Well, I said I am sorry, so it is your turn to accept it."

 He narrowed his eyes at me. "What am I going to do with you?"

 "Whatever you want."

 "Don't say that."

 "Give me a reason not to."

 He glanced over at me again as we stopped at a red light. "My reasons are for me to know and you to never find out."

 "I hope one day you find the courage to tell me."

 "I don't need the courage," as he licked his lips, a smile appeared. "You need the preparation."

 "Are your reasons good?"

 "All things involving you are good things."