Chapter Twelve

My heart skipped at the sight of rain pattering against the sidewalk. I could barely continue down the hallway without stopping to admire what was waiting for me outside. Kinnick looked over his shoulder to glance back at me. His eyes followed my line of focus to the storm brewing outside, and without hesitation, he leant his hand to me.

 I stared down at the tattooed hand being offered to me, and just like every time I saw the scarring on his palm, I wanted to ask questions. Instead, I slid my fingers between his. The destination we were heading for was unknown. I just knew I wanted to be outside, and he was going to lead me there.

 Somehow, our pace quickened, and we began racing for the glass door. A burst of laughter fell from my lips as we stepped out into the rain. He reached into his pocket to pull out a set of keys. He tried pulling me toward his truck, but my shoes skid across the sidewalk to stop him.

 "What's wrong?"

 I wiped the water droplets from my face to see him clearer. "You know I can't do that."

 "I want to take you somewhere," his fingers brushed across mine. "Will you let me do that?"

 The rain made his eyes appear brighter. I didn't want to keep him standing in the rain. I could see the droplets seeping through his clothing. He adjusted the hat on his head as he awaited an answer. Without saying another word, he pulled the passenger door open. I looked inside at the clean interior, wondering how I was supposed to convince myself to get inside.

 "I'll drive slowly," he promised. "I'll go when you want me to and stop when you ask. Either way, I'll keep you safe."

 "How am I supposed to get in? I can't lift myself up."

 A smile tugged at his lips as he adjusted the hat on his head. I turned to the leather seat and my heart started racing. When his fingers curled around my waist, I placed mine over his to soothe the feeling in my chest. I fell back against him when he applied pressure to guide me toward his body.

 "Are you okay?"

 A shiver sent a tingle down my spine as he mumbled into my ear. All I could do was nod. Without warning, my feet hovered the ground. I slid onto the seat to find the blue-eyed boxer holding the seatbelt.

 "Buckle up," he pointed.

 My eyes focused on the rain clouds rolling over the evening sky as the rain pelted Kinnick's windshield. He ran around the truck to join me inside. I watched him shake the water from his hair. I don't know why I couldn't stop staring, but I loved how he situated his hat backward on his head.

 When he pressed the start button in his truck, my fingers dug into the seat. He must have heard it because his head snapped to the side. I tried to mutter how sorry I was, but his hand was settling on my knee before I could.

 I am not sure how long we sat there, listening to the rain hit his truck, but I couldn't think with his skin on mine. Before pulling away from the parking lot, he waited for my confirmation. Now I am counting the golden lights we pass as they light up the roads blanketed by fog.

 "You are doing great, Bo," his voice stole the silence.

 I turned to look at him. "Really?"

 He gently squeezed my knee. "I'm so proud of you."  

 "Thank you."

 "Talk to me," he turned his attention back toward the road. "What's going on in that pretty little head of yours?"

 "Why are you doing all of this?"

 "All of what?"

 "Training me, walking me to class, making me muffins, wanting me to get in your truck. None of it makes sense." I ran my fingers through my hair. "I am so confused because I shouldn't be driving with you. Oh my god. I'm in a vehicle."