The Exchange of Hearts

When Aditha Karikalan spotted Nandini in the creeper gazebo of the Pazhayarai palace garden for the first time, an instant wave of affection took over him. She was almost the same age as himself - about eight, and had come with her parents to pay respects to Aditha's pious grandaunt Queen Mother Madevadigal, having just moved to Pazhayarai from Madurai. Aditha could not stop talking about her to his little sister Kundavai and little brother Arulmozhi on the way to the palace apartments. Nandini was permitted to play with the royal kids and soon enough, Karikalan's and Nandini's affection became mutual. The mischievous princess Kundavai loved to irritate her older brother by disagreeing with his praises about Nandini's good looks and qualities. "Stop putting on airs in the poor girl's presence, Kundavai", Karikalan admonished his sister. As the kids grew, they met during their playtimes from time to time.

Karikalan had massive royal duties on his adolescent shoulders and had to go to war with his father. When he returned home a few years later, after showing exceptional prowess and success in the battlefield, he noticed that their play pal Nandini had grown into an entrancingly beautiful teen and was now constantly blushing at his every utterance and making his heart flutter crazily with every look. He found himself craving her presence around him at all times and was not satisfied with the occasional chaperoned meetings when she came to meet them at the palace.

He went to the Krishna temple precincts where she sang and lived and seeing her there in her element, Karikalan realised that he was head over heels in love with the charming girl. Nandini for her part tried to rein in her feelings for him, knowing fully well the royal ramifications that would ensue but failed miserably. Her eyes and heart reached out to him and conveyed what he wanted to hear while her mind uselessly tried to walk away in the other direction. Karikalan's and Nandini's secret meetings continued for a while and they quickly became entwined and inseparable in each other's hearts.

Hailing from a staunch saivite clan, Karikalan now liked Krishna too. He asked Aniruddha Brahmayar if he could have his copy of the Mahabharatha for a read. When Aniruddhar stared at him in disbelief,  Karikalan with his hallmark confidence said "The read is for war motivation. Didn't Mahendravarma Pallavar build mandapams for Mahabharatha preachings in every nook and corner of Pallavanadu to motivate his warriors after their defeat by Pulakeshin?". The omniscient Aniruddhar beamed and said "Yuvarajare! Please read the Rukmini Parinaya chapter too for auspiciousness." Aditha read nothing else but that part of the epic and wondered whether eloping with Nandini to his own distant island kingdom was his best bet too. He decided to use the idea as his last option.

"You will be my Queen, Nandini! I don't know how that will happen but I will leave no stone unturned towards that end, I promise" Aditha passionately vowed to her when he saw her the next day. "Adithare! I don't mind being your 1008th queen as long as i am allowed to be in your vicinity always. I shall love you like Andal loved Krishna along with his multitudes of wives" Nandini said. Aditha sighed and, taking her hands in his, declared "I am afraid I am going to be like Rama here, Nandini! Know that you will be the only love of my life." His intense eyes shone with sincerity and Nandini felt as if her form was about to melt.

Karikalan's family was only too aware of the prince's overflowing love for the temple singer and when Aditha voiced his intent on Nandini to them, they stamped the royal seal of disapproval on their love. Karikalan hoped to somehow find favour with the stubborn royals in due course. He loved his parents, siblings and his huge extended family as much as he loved his Chola country. And he had huge responsibilities as the future king. He was very ambitious and had unparalleled abilities as a warrior. And he so wanted to make the queen of his heart the future Chola queen. Time, Aditha. Give it some time, he told himself. So the lovebirds tried to stay away from each other in order to lull the royal scrutiny.

But soon, Karikalan had to go north to fight against the Rashtrakutas. The royal household, knowing how headstrong and tenacious Aditha could be, sternly shoved Nandini and her foster family out of the Chola country when he was away. Her foster brother Thirumalai was allowed to stay as he was Aniruddha Brahmarayar's ardent disciple and loyalist.

Nandini's life turned topsy turvy after her removal from Pazhayarai.