The Great Escape

An opportunity presented itself very soon. Nandini and Vasuki headed to the lotus pond near their house for their bathing, washing and cleaning chores as usual. Vasuki was cleaning the dishes in the pond while Nandini was airing the sarees by tying them to trees on the bank. An elderly muscular man in a horse approached her and asked if she knew a certain address in the area. Nandini peeked a look at Vasuki who was at the base of a series of steps to the pond. She was well hidden from Vasuki by the sarees that she had tied to the trees. Nandini noticed the rings with palm symbol on the man's hand, thanked her lucky stars and said in a low voice, "Ayya! I am a Chola woman too. I came here on a visit at the wrong time and have been taken captive by local thugs and harassed after the Pandiya defeat. Please help me as I lost my parents recently and am now an orphan." "I am Periya Pazhuvettarayar, the chola treasurer and chief of Thanjai Fort. Do not worry, Penne! I will take care of you." said the man. He immediately whisked her off in his horse and Vasuki had still not climbed up to the bank.

Pazhuvettarayar held a position of power in the Chola empire that was second only to King Sundara Chozha's. He was overseeing the withdrawal of Chola troops from Pandiyanadu after the chola victory and calming down resistance from the local powers-that-be and the subjects after the fall of their king. "I am leaving for Thanjai tomorrow and you can travel with my retinue", he said and arranged a safe place of stay for Nandini for the night.

Karikalan received a hero's welcome in Thanjai. He had killed Veerapandian, who was like a thorn in the flesh for the Cholas for a very long time. Flowers and auspicious rice were showered on the victorious young prince by the people and he was incessantly garlanded by army officers and chiefs. The ladies of the royal household waved plates of coloured water and lamps before him to welcome their beloved Aditha and marked his forehead with vermilion. The handsome prince walked to his father and touched his feet in reverence and the proud father embraced his son with tears of happiness flowing down his cheeks. And Sundara chozhar announced that Aditha Karikalan would officially be crowned and made his co-regent soon.

Aditha reclined on his couch. He was very tired, both physically and emotionally. And he had to go through the formalities of coronation soon. Today was the day that Aditha had intended to secure his father's permission to make Nandini his queen - who in his excessive pride and happiness about his son, would have broken the glass ceiling. If he did not, Aditha had planned to elope with Nandini to a distant island. That was the limit he had set for the royal authority's bearing on his love. But now, he doubted that Nandini was even alive. And even if she was alive, would he ever see her beautiful face again? Even if he did see her, she was never going to marry him because of what he did to Veerapandian, overruling her wish. The fearless warrior shed silent tears of grief on what should have been a momentous day in his life.

Pazhuvettarayar's retinue reached his palace inside the Thanjai Fort in four days. When Nandini thanked Pazhuvettarayar and was about to leave, he said "You can stay in an apartment in my palace, Nandini. It is not safe for a beautiful orphan like you to be on your own. And use this ring for small favours." He handed her one of his rings. Oh, was she glad. She saw a fatherly figure in Pazhuvettarayar, though he was old enough to be her grandfather, and politely thanked him. Nandini settled down in her corner apartment in the far rear side of Pazhuvettarayar's palace.

I am back, Kundavai! Ha ha ha.