The Reunion

On the day of Aditha's coronation, everyone including Malarvizhi was involved in the festivities and Nandini's exit from Thanjai was easy. On her way back to Thanjai from Pazhayarai the previous day, Nandini had requested the charioteer to drive her to the Pazhayarai temple and back the next day too to complete her divine commitments. She arrived in Pazhayarai in the late afternoon and decorated the temple with lamps. She sent her chariot driver to Kudanthai under the pretext of buying betel leaves to take to Thanjai and waited inside the temple with bated breath for Aditha.

"Nandini!" Aditha entered the temple, smiling and calling her name and her heart jumped for joy at the sight of him. He held her hand and took her with him to the Lord's sanctum. They offered their obeisances and came out leaning on each other to sit on the steps of the temple pond.

"Nandini! Where do you want me to take you?" Aditha asked, holding Nandini's hands in his fists.

"I am ready to go to any place you take me, Adithare! As long as you never leave my side."

"Leaving your side is not my idea either. Will you be my queen in Kanchi? Having accepted the official responsibility as Yuvarajan this morning, i cannot leave my chola country."

"My greetings to you on that, Komagane! and Kanchi sounds perfect."

"My family may still not welcome the idea but i ask that you ignore them until they accept you wholeheartedly."

"They may if they know who my real father is."

"And who is that? Will you tell me before you tell my family?"

"Will you promise me that you will not walk away from me once you know?"

"It will not happen, i safely promise. That is one thing i am incapable of."

Nandini sadly said, "Veerapandiyan."

Aditha was speechless for a minute as he took in the information. Then he touched her feet with both his hands and taking her hands to his eyes, said, " I am truly sorry for what i did to him and you, Nandini. How could you forgive me?"

"Because i hate him more than you do."

"Why the sudden change of heart? Did you not beg me to spare his life? I am sorry i was so cruel and disregarded your wish."

"That was due to compassion for a dying man. And to know who my real mother was from him." Nandini then elaborated how Veerapandiyan knew she was his daughter and everything that happened after she and Aditha met after many years in front of her house in the Vaigai islet up until the time she decided to send Aditha her SOS message through Thirumalai.

Aditha pulled Nandini to himself, embraced her tightly and stroked her hair to belatedly give her some comfort for what she went through and she wet his chest with her tears as she thought about the dreadful oath in the forest.

"Now my royal household technically cannot reject you as its daughter-in-law" he said trying to cheer her.

"Let's hope Veerapandian is useful to me for that purpose at least. But i fear for your life after witnessing the Aabathudhavigals' determination and terrible oath, Adithare." She said through her tears.

"A warrior's life is fraught with dangers, Nandini. He lives by the sword and is ready to die by the sword."

" Unlike Veerapandian who ran away. I am worried about their treacherous ways than the war."

"We are as prepared as we can be, Nandini! So don't fret. And let us not reveal Madhurantakan's identity to him ever. That is irrelevant as he has imbibed all the Chola family values and cannot exist as anything else", Aditha said changing the subject matter.

"My thought too. Let us not ruin his world."

"And to know that Pazhuvettarayar wants to marry you, a girl younger than some of his grandchildren! I wish i had severed his head instead of Veerapandiyan's."

"But it was because of him that I safely landed in Thanjai and it is due to his wicked proposal that i decided to write to you. Thanks for coming to take me with you, Adithare!", Nandini smiled happily.

"Thanks for writing that beautiful letter, Nandini!" He smiled back, pleased to see her being so happy.

They reached for each other and realising it was the temple tank, pulled back.

Karikalan got up and gave Nandini his hand. "Time to start to our home, Nandini. We will stay in the next town chatram for the night and proceed to Kanchi in the morning." he said.

They walked to his chariot hand in hand and reaching the chariot, turned back and saluted Krishna for bringing their hearts together in His temple many years ago and uniting them as a couple in the same temple.

After Aditha had seated Nandini and walked around to take the reins of his chariot, he was shocked to see Arulmozhi in the driver's seat. "Arulmozhi! What are you doing here?" he asked agitatedly.

"Waiting for you to finish romancing with Nandini Anniyar and hoping you would come to the chariot at least by dawn to leave for Kanchi." Arulmozhi said as he got down from the chariot. Nandini's face turned red in abashment and she was glad she was seated in the hind part of the chariot. "And to warn you that everyone of our royal household members will be in attendance at your wedding in Kanchi."

"Did Thirumalai tell you about me and Nandini?" Aditha enquired.

"Knowing my brother as i do, I was sure he would take his romantic pursuit to marital bliss one day. I am only surprised that it took so long. And yes, Thirumalai tipped me on this today. And i followed behind you at a safe distance to Pazhayarai. He rightly guessed you would head to Kanchi."

"Well, that is where my present house is."

"I know you guys won't reach Kanchi even after two weeks, as you have to stop every now and then for romancing. But be assured that your wedding preparations will be in full swing by the time you arrive."

"Arulmozhi! Does father know about this?"

"I will make sure he and everyone else knows very soon and accept this happily, Anna. You and Anniyar don't deserve anything less. Now take the reins and drive the drive of your life." He turned towards Nandini with folded hands and said "Vandanam, Nandini Anniyare! Please remember our childhood friendship and always grace me with your affection for old times' sake even if i am unbearable now."

"Vandanam Arulmozhivarmare!! Don't worry. I will forgive all your life's sins and be ever gracious to you if you convince the family, if not for old times' sake."

Arulmozhi smiled and saw them off as they drove off.

Aditha and Nandini happily drove to their new life together, stopping every now and then, taking in the beautiful scenes of their motherland, enjoying each other's company, lying on each other's laps and passionately kissing each other.

EPILOGUE

Nandini married Aditha in the golden palace he had built in Kanchi in the presence of her loving foster family and with the blessings and presence of Aditha's huge family. King Malayaman, Aditha's maternal grandfather, was over the moon seeing his favourite grandson being so happy after many years. Aditha's intimate warrior friends Parthivendra Pallavan and Vanthiya Thevan were by his side during the wedding and made sure the festivities were filled with fun and laughter. Nandini gained the royal title "Ilaada Maadeviyar" as Aditha's queen. She gave birth to a son whom Aditha named Karikala Kannan after Lord Krishna of Pazhayarai.

———————————————————————————————————

This story is an amateur spin-off attempt at Amarar Kalki's Ponniyin Selvan.

Resources:  Amarar Kalki's Ponniyin Selvan,  Aditha Karikalan and Parantaka II Wikipedia pages.

This story is dedicated to my late grandmother.