So Near And Yet So Far

Pazhuvettarayar of Thanjai was not aware of Nandini's eviction from Pazhayarai by the royal family because of her love affair with the prince. Now that he was slowly withdrawing from war duties after the Chola-Pandiya battle, she wondered if he would start his investigation on her. Sundara Chozhar was indisposed and, at Pazhuvettarayar's insistence, had moved with his wife to the chola palace in Thanjai built inside the Thanjai Fort. Nandini also learnt from her talkative maid Malarvizhi that all the other royal family members still lived in Pazhayarai while Karikalan as chief of the northern command was mostly stationed in Kanchi, which he captured from the Rashtrakutas. And that he was going to be formally coronated as the Crown Prince very soon before he left Thanjai for Kanchi. " I am sure the prince's wedding celebrations will follow soon", Malarvizhi announced and left.

Aditha is in Thanjai Palace now. Just a few blocks away from me.

Nandini's thoughts momentarily went back to when Aditha killed Veerapandian to when she met Aditha after many years in her front-yard to when she was kicked out of the country by Aditha's family and dwelt on the times when Aditha and she were inseparable lovers engrossed in each other's company, oblivious to the world. "Know that you will be the only love of my life, Nandini!". Nandini felt wetness in her chest and, looking at her saree, realised that she had been shedding copious amounts of tears. And that she had been copiously repeating Aditha's name in her mind.

Pazhuvettarayar was busy taking stock of military statistics after the Chola-Pandiya battle. But his mind did not depart for a minute from thoughts of Nandini. He was smitten with her beauty since he first saw her on the banks of a pond in Pandiyanadu and approached her in the guise of enquiry. When she requested him to be rescued, he believed that divine sanction was bestowed upon him to make her his.  He knew he was too old for her but she was an orphan and could never dream of a life of opulence and power like the one he could provide her. He was trying to win her confidence by not making explicit advances and was trying to get her used to his palatial lifestyle to woo her. And she was a girl of good conduct - never failing to touch his feet whenever she saw him, never stepping out of the house according to Malarvizhi and deeply devoted to Krishna at this young age. Her faith needs to be diverted but that can be handled after the wedding. She will face no competition from my other wives as i am totally possessed by her beauty and have heartily surrendered myself to her as her lover. I will be wholly yours, my darling.

One fine evening, Nandini was seated in the balcony of her apartment overlooking the garden on the rear end of Pazhuvettarayar's palace. She saw a man of striking beauty and tranquility emerging from behind the trees that were at a distance and walking majestically towards Pazhuvettarayar's brother, Chinna Pazhuvettarayar's wing of the palace. As was her norm these days, Nandini hid herself to avoid being seen. She noiselessly lowered herself to the floor and peeped through the balcony carvings, unable to take her eyes off the saintly man. On closer look, Nandini realised he was Madhurantaka, Madevadigal's son and Aditha's uncle - the boy who never wanted to play with them but only to chant and perform pujas. He was almost the same age as Aditha and herself. Oh!  Isn't he my brother now? As per Ravidasan's account? At this rate, half the world will soon be my brothers. Even Aditha and Arulmozhi almost made it to my brotherhood. Madhurantaka! Don't worry! I will not disturb your penance. I will never reveal your true identity or our blood bond. You are the only peaceful man i know in my life and you can continue to be so in your chola avatar, my dear.

Karikalan's coronation is slated for tomorrow. My wedding will happen exactly a week later. My wedding proposal to Nandini will be made today. Pazhuvettarayar dressed himself up to impress Nandini and entered her apartment. Nandini touched his feet as usual and made her customary enquiries. Pazhuvettarayar, the great warrior, was straight to the point and said, "Nandini! Listen carefully to what i am about to say, dear. I have decided to marry you and make you my queen. You are a very sensible girl and i am sure you will see the merits of this marriage. It will ensure a secure life for you, not to mention the luxury and respect you will have as my wife. You will have my unconditional love and unlimited freedom. I will come at the same time the day after tomorrow to hear your reply before I proceed with the wedding preparations. I will take your leave now." He finished his speech.

Here comes another strike from destiny, thought Nandini. She had learnt to keep a straight face when life threw its curveballs on her. Because she rarely faced straight deliveries. "You don't have to wait for my reply until the day after tomorrow, Ayya. I am honoured by your proposal. The answer is yes." Nandini said and touched his feet again.

Pazhuvettarayar was pleased but not surprised. This was the best deal she would get in her life and she was an intelligent girl. "I will make the formal announcement after the prince's coronation. I don't want your joy to drown in the prince's celebrations" he said. Nandini smiled in agreement. You are getting too good at this game, Nandini!, she congratulated herself. Pazhuvettarayar walked out of her apartment jubilantly. When he was out of earshot, Nandini climbed up to the upparigai of her apartment and threw Pazhuvettarayrayar's painting, that she had just pulled out of the wall in her hall, into the garden pond with all her might.