Adoption Day

Piper awoke to the sound of children running and yelling with excitement. When she checked her clock she realized it was still only 6:30 but she decided to get up anyways. Rhea was still asleep so she decided she'd get ready and then wake her up. Piper took a quick shower and got dressed. She dried her hair and pulled it back into a loose, messy bun. Her makeup that day was simple, a light coverage on her face over a couple of small zits, eyeliner, and mascara. Once she was pleased with the thin wings on her eyes she went over to wake her younger roommate. Once she was awake and ready they went downstairs for breakfast. Halfway through the meal, Ms. Hadley had some announcements.

"Alright kids!" She screamed. "We have a walk-through starting in two hours so everybody n-needs to be on their BEST behaviors. The families are coming at different times so be good for a few hours. I don't care what you're doing, just no fffights and no bad language!" She sounded drunk but Piper knew better than to say anything.

After the lecture Piper went back up to her bedroom to collect her phone and make sure the room was tidy. Sometimes the prospecting parents wanted to see the children's rooms for the sake of small talk and to see how clean they keep their spaces. She grabbed a broom from a cabinet down the hall and swept her shared room. Piper was a fairly tidy person over all but Rhea definitely wasn't. Her half of the room was littered with clothes, books, empty water bottles, and god knows what else. But, being the kind of person she was, Piper decided to help out her younger friend and clean both halves of the room. After about 20 minutes of working, the room looked spotless. Piper looked at the time and decided to head downstairs, seeing as the families would be arriving soon. She grabbed her phone and her earbuds and went down to the living room, assuming her favorite place on the most comfortable chair in the whole house. She put her music on shuffle and began reading a random book she had pulled from a shelf. This book was called "Asylum" and it was a creepy story about three kids at a boarding school. She was already on chapter three by the time the first family showed up.

They were a nice young couple looking for a baby or toddler. Piper returned her gaze to her book pretending she wasn't upset. After about a half an hour the next family arrived. They already had an adopted son and were looking for another little kid to complete their household. "Between the ages of 1 and 4" she heard the mom say. Piper knew it wouldn't be a successful day for her. Two more families came and went, both looking for boys. She was nearing the end of her book and the end of her playlist when the final family came in. Piper didn't even bother looking up. Humming the last few notes to See Through the music ended, and she finished the last line of the book. She went to put the book back on its shelf and go back upstairs when an oddly familiar voice chimed from behind her.

"What were you just humming?"

Without looking around she replied "Oh it's called See Through by Pentatonix." She turned around to face the stranger. When she saw who it was she nearly burst into tear. Standing before her with a dorky grin on his face was Scott Hoying. "I...I..." she couldn't formulate a sentence. Why was one of her idols here? Her mind was racing as Scott just giggled.

"Haha so what's your name?" he asked while walking a little closer to her.

"Uh, Piper. My name is Piper Elizabeth Cullen." She stammered.

"Well it's nice to meet you Piper!" Scott said cheerfully as he stuck out his hand for her to shake. She nervously shook his hand and blushed slightly. She had always dreamed of meeting a member of Pentatonix, but not like this!

"So uh, what bring you here?" Piper questioned.

"Well you seem to know who I am already so I'll just tell you. My husband and I are looking to adopt. I'm so excited!" He beamed. Husband? He hadn't announced his marriage to the public! Who was he married to? Piper could think of two possible spouses but she wasn't sure. Was it Alex Kirk? There were a lot of rumors about them being together. Or was it Mitch? Piper did ship scomiche...

"I didn't know you were married!" Piper replied. "Who's the lucky guy?"

Scott turned his head into the other room. "Babe" he called. "Come here! I want you to meet somebody!" He turned back to Piper. "He was just talking to Ms. Hadley. He's coming." He said as he smiled down at her. Then, in walked Mitch Grassi. Piper nearly fainted. Mitch was the reason she started singing. He was one of her biggest inspirations, and she was now looking at him, face to face. Not to mention the fact that she just found out her favorite singers were married.

"Hi, I'm Mitch!" He said to her as he waved a little. "What's your name?"

"I... I'm Piper." She could feel her face getting hot but she didn't care.

"Piper was listening to Pentatonix when I came in. She was humming along beautifully too, might I add." Scott said to Mitch, while winking at Piper. She grinned.

"Pentatonix? Never heard of 'em." Mitch playfully shook his hand away and giggled. "So Piper, tell me a little about yourself!" Mitch said as they all sat down on a big couch.

"Well, I love to read and sing. I also probably spend way too much time on the internet and don't leave the house much." She said as she chuckled slightly.

"Same girl." Mitch said.

"You seem really cool!" Scott said.

"Thanks oh my god but noooo."

"Haha what do you mean?" Scott questioned.

"I mean, I dunno. I don't really have any friends or anything. And this is the longest any adopting family has ever really talked to me." Piper said with a hint of sadness in her voice.

"No honey you're great!" Mitch said and wrapped an arm around her. "As a matter of fact I'm not sure we need to see any other kids today. What do you think Scooter?"

Scott shook his head. "No, I don't think we need to talk to anybody else." He replied as he smiled sympathetically at Piper.

"Wait what do you mean?" Piper asked excitedly.

"I mean we're going to adopt you!" Mitch exclaimed.

"NO way! I love you guys so much you have absolutely no idea how much this means to me!" They all stood up and Piper hugged both of the men. They hugged her back and told her they needed to fill out the adoption papers. They would take a few days to process but by the end of the week they would be able to take her home. Piper excitedly rushed upstairs to her bedroom. She was so excited to finally get out of here. For ten years of her life she was stuck in that place and she had started to feel like she would be there forever. Then she remembered Rhea. She knew Rhea didn't get adopted today. She would have to tell her eventually, but she decided to wait. She didn't want her to be sad all week. Piper put on her pajamas and went to bed, excited about what was coming her way.