Biker Baby | Chapter Eight

Lucy_Pearl Copyright © 2016

Chapter Eight

 It was so hot, she wanted to cry out to the heavens.

She wore a loose short sleeve top and some shorts, yet the heat of Nevada still seemed to penetrate through her. It was about 98° F degrees outside and she was sweating like a pig. What made it worse was that she was already nervous, and she was late for her first day of school.

She rushed down the hallway with her binder in hand and a heavy back pack. Jacks had forced her to go school shopping yesterday and Nonna, being the woman she was, grabbed everything. Isabelle had three hand pencil sharpeners, six notebooks, about 100 mechanical pencils, and two binders. It dragged Isabelle down and it surprised Jacks when he saw how much she got.

"She's going to school ma. Not going to right a series of novels!" He had said, while laughing at how miserable Isabelle looked while packing her things in the white Jansport back pack. She was actually surprised that he knew what a book was. She smirked as she pushed the heavy door open to the office. It was cool in the small room, she looked around for someone, when suddenly a woman walked out of a side room. She had pink wired glasses and wore a tan sweater and white shirt, with bright pink pearls. She looked nice.

"Hello, how may I help you?" Isabelle was stunned a moment, as she tried to register the hospitality the woman was exerting towards her. She snapped out of her confused stupor and replied to the nice looking woman.

"Yes, umm... I'm a new student, and I need my... Things," the woman nodded her head and smiled at Isabelle. She quickly walked towards a computer off to the side and typed in some thing.

"Name?" she prompted.

"Isabelle," she replied.

"Isabelle McBride?" The woman asked. Isabelle nodded.
"Delightful. Well Isabelle, my name is Ms. Crenshaw, and welcome to Desert Oasis High," the woman handed Isabelle her transcript and map of the school. Isabelle thanked Ms. Crenshaw and walked out of the office looking down at her schedule. First period, Pre-Calculus with Mr. Ridley. She sighed and shook her head, of course, math was her first class.

The room was right down the hall from the office so she got there quickly. When she got there, she knocked on the door and waited for someone to answer the door. A tall boy opened it and leered at her as she walked pass. She practically hissed at him as she approached the teacher up front. He took a quick glance down at her transcript and then handed it back to her.

"Isabelle McBride," he said, testing her name on his tongue. "You can sit in the back," she nodded her head and quickly made her way towards the back.

She passed a few other students a couple of boys messing around and a group of girl chit chatting. They all looked at her like she was from a different planet. Here comes the isolation. She sat in the empty desk in the far back corner, away from everyone else. But some people still turned back to look at her. They were curious, but did they have to make it so obvious.

"Okay everyone, today we're going to talk about derivatives," Mr. Riley said from the front. There was a groan of protest and some people even cursed. The teacher shook his head as he wrote on the board a math equation. As he wrote he spoke about derivatives.

"The Derivative tells us the slope of a function at any point," when he was finished writing he stood back and pointed at the board.

"Derivatives can be..." Isabelle zoned out as the teacher talked on and on about math and the history of derivatives. She learned this last year at her school in California. It was obvious that this school was way behind. Isabelle pulled out one of her notebooks and started to draw on the cover with a gray Sharpie.