0.5

The three days of training had gone by very fast. I learned many survival hacks, freshened up on my bow and arrow skills, and painted with Peeta. Today was personal training and I was starting to catch the nerves. Slowly each person was called for their session. Finnick came out of the training room glistening wet. I assume he showed off his trident skills in water. Johanna went in and came out all sweaty. She definitely used her ax. Then my name was called over the microphone.

"Rosemary Birk."

My breathing hitched. Was I gonna do good? That's when I decided, no. I was not going to let them freak me out. This was all part of their mind games. I would not let them make me so caught up in their cruel tricks. I took a deep breath and stood up from my spot on the bench.

"Good luck," whispered Edwin.

I lean down giving my best friend a hug, "Thank you. You will do good too."

I walk into the training center, the game makers nodding in acknowledgement towards me.

"Hello," I smile at them.

No matter how disgusting their job is and how much I loathe the Capitol, I would keep the promise I made to my mother: have courage and be kind.

"Rosemary Birk, District 9," I say.

The game makers all pay attention to me, each taking an occasional sip of their alcohol. I place my hand over the silver bow, taking a sheath out as well. I walk into the simulation room, turning it to the hardest level. Red holograms appeared, encompassing me. The red simulations all held weapons of different sizes and shapes. They are not real, I chanted over and over again in my mind. You can't hurt them because they are not real people. Suddenly, out of the corner of my eye, I saw one hologram flinch. My arrow landed immediately in its heart. An onslaught of weapons flew towards me. I flipped and cartwheeled out of the way, the knives, daggers, spears, and arrows missing me by matters of feet. I string five arrows onto the bow and let them fly. Each arrow finds itself nuzzled into the hologram's hearts. The simulations explode into little red blocks. Another hologram comes running at me, this time with no weapon, it's hand reaching out to grab me. I do a back handspring landing gracefully on my feet. I take an arrow out and plunge it into its head. The simulation turns off. I look to see the game makers nodding in approvement. I feel a slight pang of anger, knowing that these people support so much pain and murder and they are pleased to see me joining in. But I wouldn't join in. No. Never will I hurt any human being in any way.

That night, as Edwin and I sat down to watch the scores play out he whispered something in my ear. He cupped his hands around my left ear and started to talk. It was so low, I had to put all my concentration on him and his voice.

"I think I am going to team up with the careers to keep them away from Katniss and Peeta," he murmurs.

I turn to look at him, tears in my eyes. I wrap my arms around his neck and whisper back into his ear.

"Thank you. You are so brave."

Suddenly the scores came up on screen. Cashmere and Gloss, 10. Enobaria, 9. Brutus, 11. Wiress, 4. Beetee, 7. Mags, 6. Finnick, 11. Johanna, 9. I held my breath for mine. What was it going to be? Rosemary, 10. The room erupted in cheers.

"Rose! You did it!" Edwin laughed, lifting me up on his shoulders and carrying me around the room.

"Fantastic job, Rosie," Eunoia smiled.

"What did you do?" Ella asked.

"Um, bow and arrow skills," I whisper, slowly being lowered to the floor by Edwin.

"I thought you weren't going to-"

"I'm not. I just needed a good score," I say.

Edwin, 9.

"Good Job Edwin," I congratulate him, "I think I'm gonna go to bed. Big day with the interviews tomorrow."

I walk into my bedroom and make my way to the bathroom. I take a short hot shower, only washing my body. After that, I smelled like a freshly baked sponge cake. Once I got out of the shower, I brushed my long blonde hair into a ponytail and then got in my blue nightgown. I quickly jumped into the warm bed, closing my eyes. What was my interview dress going to look like? What were the questions going to be? But before long, I drifted into a deep sleep, leaving all the questions for another day.

gif of rosemary finding out her score